Determine exact values for trigonometry equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding an exact solution for the equation x^2 - 2cosx = 0 and suggests using a graphing calculator or Newton's method to solve it. The speaker also suggests asking the teacher for clarification on the problem.
Vee9

Homework Statement

Find the exact solution for:
x^2 - 2cosx = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There aren't any constants to bring to the other side, so I'm not sure how to solve for x.

Physics news on Phys.org
Was this a problem from a book? because you can't find an exact solution to this problem.

Mentallic said:
Was this a problem from a book? because you can't find an exact solution to this problem.

Yes, it was. I'll have to ask my teacher about it tomorrow.
Maybe she meant for us to use a graphing calculator?
Thanks anyway. :]

Or maybe even using Newton's method. Whichever way your teacher expected you to solve it, I don't know why they would say "Find the exact solution for:"... Tell your teacher you can't find the exact solution and see what they come up with :wink:

1. How do I determine the exact value of a trigonometry equation?

To determine the exact value of a trigonometry equation, you need to use trigonometric identities and properties. These include the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference formulas, and double angle formulas. You can also use a calculator or reference table to find the exact value of common trigonometric functions.

2. What is the difference between an exact value and an approximate value?

An exact value is a value that is calculated using mathematical formulas and does not involve any rounding or estimation. An approximate value, on the other hand, is a value that is rounded or estimated to a certain degree of accuracy. Exact values are always more precise and reliable than approximate values.

3. Can I use a calculator to determine the exact value of a trigonometry equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to determine the exact value of a trigonometry equation. However, keep in mind that calculators may not always give the most simplified or exact form of the answer. It is still important to understand and use the trigonometric identities and properties to verify the exact value.

4. How can I simplify a trigonometry equation to determine the exact value?

To simplify a trigonometry equation, you can use trigonometric identities and properties to rewrite the equation in a more simplified form. This may involve factoring, using common angles, or applying other trigonometric rules. Simplifying the equation can help you determine the exact value more easily.

5. Are there any tips for determining the exact values of trigonometry equations?

Some tips for determining exact values of trigonometry equations include practicing using trigonometric identities and properties, memorizing common angles and their trigonometric functions, and understanding the relationship between the trigonometric functions on the unit circle. It is also helpful to check your answer using a calculator or reference table to ensure accuracy.