Optimizing Alpha Emitters for Efficient Transmutation: A Cost-Effective Approach

• Thread starter Strat-O
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alpha
In summary: So, in summary, the original idea was to use an alpha emitter for transmutation of elements, requiring approximately 5 Ci of radioactivity. The best candidate for this would be a least expensive and reliable supply with a half life of > 60 days and an energy of at least 1.5 MeV. After considering Po-210, which has a low global production and high price, Americium was suggested as a more feasible option due to its availability in smoke detectors. A gram of Americium costs $160, but can produce 3.5 Ci and has a half life of over 400 years. However, it is important to follow safety guidelines, such as those outlined by the NRC, before attempting this.
Strat-O
I would like to pursue an idea that involves transmutation of elements using an alpha emitter. I figure that the production rate I would like to achieve would require about 5 Ci of radioactivity. What would be a good candidate, i.e. least expensive and reliable supply with a half life of > 60 days and an energy of at least 1.5 MeV? I've looked at Po-210 but according to wiki, the annual global production is about 100 grams per year and although I haven't worked it out the price per curie is probably prohibitively expensive.

Essentially looking for the biggest alpha-bang per buck!

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks. After posting I thought about Americium because it's common in smoke detectors. It is a bit expensive at $160 per milligram but I think I can produce small amounts of product and scale it up.

1 gram of Americium would generate 3.5 Ci. I'm guessing that amount would cost far less than $160,000. The cool thing is with a 400+ year half life for Am-241, it would not need to be replenished often.

Strat-O

Last edited:
Price is outstanding. Looks like you can get a gram of Am-241 oxide for $1,600.

Strat-O said:
Thanks. After posting I thought about Americium because it's common in smoke detectors. It is a bit expensive at $160 per milligram but I think I can produce small amounts of product and scale it up.

1 gram of Americium would generate 3.5 Ci. I'm guessing that amount would cost far less than $160,000. The cool thing is with a 400+ year half life for Am-241, it would not need to be replenished often.

Strat-O
Read this - http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part030/

Last edited by a moderator:
I do believe there are a certain set of guidelines you should follow before you attempt this.

That makes sense.

1. What is an inexpensive alpha emitter?

An inexpensive alpha emitter is a radioactive substance that emits alpha particles at a low cost. Alpha particles are high-energy particles that are released during the process of radioactive decay.

2. How is an inexpensive alpha emitter used in scientific research?

Inexpensive alpha emitters are commonly used in scientific research as tracers or markers to track the movement of substances within a system. They can also be used in medical imaging and cancer treatment.

3. What are the benefits of using inexpensive alpha emitters?

Using inexpensive alpha emitters can be a cost-effective way to conduct research, as they are relatively cheap compared to other radioactive substances. They also have a short half-life, which means they decay quickly and pose less of a long-term health risk.

4. Are there any risks associated with handling inexpensive alpha emitters?

While alpha particles are relatively low in energy and can be stopped by a piece of paper, they can still pose a risk if not handled properly. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and regulations when working with any radioactive substance.

5. Can inexpensive alpha emitters be used for energy production?

Inexpensive alpha emitters are not suitable for energy production as their half-life is too short to sustain a consistent source of energy. They are primarily used in research and medical applications.