Brake Disc Design- Torque Acting On Wheel Stud Bolts

In summary, the conversation is about a group project designing a brake disc assembly and the problem of determining the force acting on each wheel stud. The frictional force of the brake pad and the wheel stud's PCD are mentioned. The person needs to know this force in order to calculate the minimum bolt diameter and has doubts about the initial calculations provided by a group mate. The conversation also mentions the needed information for determining the clamping force and resistance to shifting of the rotor.
cjh1990

Homework Statement

I have currently been working on a group project designing a brake disc assembly. The current problem i am having is trying to workout the force acting on each wheel stud.

The frictional force of the brake pad is 3.2 KN with an efective radius of 105MM from the center of the disc
The 4 wheel studs concentric to the disc have a pcd of 65MM

What would be the force acting on each stud? i need to know this so i can further calculate the minimum bolt diameter. I will attach the work that my group mate has done so far however i doubt the initial calcualtions to find the force acting on each bolt is correct.

Homework Equations

the link to my current workings are as follows

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w154/christophercorsa/hpqscan0001.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you're not thinking about the rotor being clamped between the hub and the wheel.

You'll need the thread pitch and the tightening torque on the nuts, plus the coefficient of friction between the rotor and the hub. That will give you the clamping force and the resulting resistance to shifting of the rotor.

1. What is the purpose of a brake disc?

A brake disc is a component of a vehicle's braking system that is designed to slow or stop the rotation of the wheels. It works by converting the kinetic energy of the moving vehicle into heat through friction, which in turn slows down or stops the vehicle.

2. How does the torque acting on wheel stud bolts affect brake disc design?

The torque acting on wheel stud bolts is a critical factor in brake disc design. This torque is the force that is applied to the wheel when the brakes are engaged, and it is transmitted through the wheel stud bolts to the brake disc. The brake disc must be designed to withstand this torque without warping or cracking, as this can lead to brake failure.

3. What factors are considered in brake disc design?

There are several factors that are taken into account when designing a brake disc, including the size and weight of the vehicle, the type of braking system (e.g. disc brakes or drum brakes), the material of the brake disc, and the torque acting on the wheel stud bolts. Other factors may include heat dissipation, durability, and cost.

4. How do different materials affect brake disc design?

The choice of material for a brake disc can greatly impact its design. Different materials have different properties that must be taken into consideration, such as heat resistance, weight, and cost. For example, a ceramic brake disc may be able to withstand higher temperatures and last longer, but it may also be more expensive and heavier than a traditional steel brake disc.

5. What are the consequences of a poorly designed brake disc?

If a brake disc is poorly designed, it can lead to a number of issues such as reduced braking efficiency, increased wear and tear on other brake components, and even brake failure. This can be dangerous for both the driver and other motorists on the road. It is important for brake disc design to be carefully considered and tested to ensure the safety and functionality of the vehicle's braking system.