Evolution: Half tall, half small?

• Thread starter P-Jay1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evolution
In summary, a scientist predicted that as humans evolve, we will either be 10 feet tall or 2 feet tall. This idea was met with skepticism and the conversation turned to whether or not humans are actually getting taller. The scientist's name was forgotten and the idea of tall and short people uniting to create medium-sized people was discussed. There was also a mention of the theory that tall people are attracted to short people as a balancing mechanism. No references or evidence were provided to support these theories.
P-Jay1
A little while back I heard a scientist speak of a division that will happen as humans evolve further. He said that humans would either be about 10 foot tall or around 2 foot tall. So around half the population would be realllllllly really tall and the other half rather small.

I believe humans are getting taller, although I think this is a little bit of a tall tale. Anybody got any views on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this sounds silly. Who was this scientist?

Vanadium 50 said:
I think this sounds silly. Who was this scientist?

You're right. It really does sound absurd. Although I do like to imagine a world were one day really tall folk and really small folk unite and create some medium sized folk.

And I can't remember the name of the scientist for the life of me.

When I was young (early 80s), the tale told me was that tall people tended to be attracted to short people (don't really have enough statistical anecdotal experience to comment on the validity of that). While the thinking was that it was some sort of balancing mechanism which would produce medium-sized people, more thinking leads me to think that sexual dimorphism could result (maybe the two populations would actually turn out to be which gender has the tall and which has the short gene).

No references, no thread.

1. What is meant by "half tall, half small" in evolution?

"Half tall, half small" in evolution refers to a concept known as "heterochrony," which describes changes in the timing of developmental processes. In this case, it refers to organisms that exhibit a combination of traits typically associated with both large and small individuals.

2. What causes organisms to evolve to be "half tall, half small"?

There are a variety of factors that can contribute to the evolution of "half tall, half small" organisms. These can include changes in environmental conditions, competition for resources, and genetic mutations that affect growth and development.

3. Are there any advantages to being "half tall, half small"?

It depends on the specific traits and environment of the organism. In some cases, being "half tall, half small" can provide a balance of advantages from both large and small individuals, such as being able to access different food sources or avoid predation. However, there can also be disadvantages, such as decreased reproductive success due to difficulty finding a mate with similar traits.

4. Can "half tall, half small" organisms reproduce with others who are not "half tall, half small"?

Yes, in most cases, "half tall, half small" organisms are able to reproduce with other individuals within their species, regardless of their size. However, there may be some cases where genetic incompatibilities between individuals with different size traits can lead to difficulties in reproduction.

5. How does the theory of evolution explain the existence of "half tall, half small" organisms?

The theory of evolution explains the existence of "half tall, half small" organisms through the process of natural selection. As the environment and conditions change, certain traits may become more advantageous for survival and reproduction. Over time, these traits can become more prevalent in a population, leading to the evolution of "half tall, half small" organisms with a mix of traits that provide a balance of advantages in their environment.