How Does Dolphin Movement Affect Sound Frequency Perception?

• Thread starter bfitzp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, dolphins use clicks of sound for communication and echolocation. When a marine biologist is monitoring a dolphin swimming in seawater at a speed of 9.8 m/s, they measure the frequency of clicks occurring per second to be 2230 Hz. This is 14 Hz lower than the actual frequency emitted by the dolphin. This difference may be due to the Doppler shift, but the exact cause is uncertain.
bfitzp

Homework Statement

Dolphins emit clicks of sound for communication and echolocation. A marine biologist is monitoring a dolphin swimming in seawater where the speed of sound is 1523 m/s. When the dolphin is swimming directly away at 9.8 m/s, the marine biologist measures the number of clicks occurring per second to be at a frequency of 2230 Hz. What is the difference (in Hz) between this frequency and the number of clicks per second actually emitted by the dolphin?

Homework Equations

Fo = Fs(1/(1+v/Vs))

Fo = Frequency heard by observer
Fs = Frequency of source
v = speed of dolphn
Vs = speed of sound in water

The Attempt at a Solution

2230 = Fs(1/1+(9.8/1523))

2230 = (0.9936)Fs

Fs = 2244

Difference between Fs and Fo = 14 Hz. However the answer is showing as incorrect when I input it online. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bfitzp

I actually used a sort of "common sense" approach to solving the problem (without resorting to that Doppler shift equation) and I got the same answer as you did. So I'm not sure what's wrong. The only thing I can think of is that the problem asks you for the difference between the observed and source frequencies, which would actually be -14 Hz (since the observed frequency < source frequency).

Either that, or your computer wants more sig. figs.?

1. What is the definition of frequency when it comes to a moving object?

The frequency of a moving object refers to the number of complete cycles or oscillations that the object completes in a given time period. It is measured in hertz (Hz) and is a measure of how many times the object moves back and forth in one second.

2. How is the frequency of a moving object calculated?

The frequency of a moving object can be calculated by dividing the number of cycles or oscillations by the time it took to complete those cycles. The formula for frequency is f = 1/T, where f is frequency and T is the time period.

3. Does the frequency of a moving object change?

Yes, the frequency of a moving object can change depending on the speed or velocity of the object. As the object moves faster, the frequency increases and vice versa. Additionally, frequency can also change if the object encounters external forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength?

Frequency and wavelength are inversely related. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula c = fλ, where c is the speed of light, f is frequency, and λ is wavelength.

5. How does the frequency of a moving object affect its energy?

The energy of a moving object is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, the energy also increases. This relationship is described by the formula E = hf, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is frequency.