Complex Analysis Question

In summary, a branch cut is a way to remove discontinuities in a function that is multi-valued. It is usually chosen in a way that ensures that for any path that crosses the same point, the function value remains the same. The location of the branch cut is not always unique, but it is often specified by certain points. One example of a function that requires a branch cut is ln(z), which is defined as ln|z|+i*arg(z) where 0<arg(z)<2pi.
spacenerd
I was hoping someone could clarify the idea of a branch cut for me. In class, my professor talked about how a branch cut is used to remove discontinuities. He gave an example of |z|=1 needing a branch cut along the positive real axis. If this because going from 0 to 2\pi, the 0 and 2\pi match up?

Physics news on Phys.org
|z|=1 is not a function

It seems like an implicitly defined function to me.

how do you figure?

|z|=1 seems to me like maybe an example of a path you would take in C, moving around the unit circle to show a given function is multivalued

Right, Well I guess I should have specified that z was an element of the Complex plane. Thoght it was kinda implied by the post title.
How about ln(z). I know that this is defined as;
ln(z)=ln|z|+i*arg(z), where 0<arg(z)<2pi.
This requires a branch cut to not include 0 and 2pi.
I'm just a little fuzzy on the notion of a branch cut.

it was clear z was an element of the complex plane, as per normal notation

what wasn't clear was which function you were working with. |z|=1 is not a function, it is a constraint, which represents the set of points on the unit circle in the complex plane.

when a function is multi-valued, you can choose where to put branch cuts in the complex plane so that no path that does not cross the branch cut is able to take you to a multivalued, ie for any path that crosses the same point z [itex]f(z) = f(z) [/itex] always

the location of a branch cut is not in general unique,you can chose where to upt it, however often it is specified by certain points

1. What is the definition of complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It involves the manipulation and understanding of complex numbers, which are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component.

2. What are some common applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has many practical applications, including in engineering, physics, and signal processing. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

3. What is the difference between complex analysis and real analysis?

The main difference between complex analysis and real analysis is that complex analysis deals with functions of complex numbers, while real analysis deals with functions of real numbers. Additionally, complex analysis involves the study of complex differentiability and holomorphic functions, which do not have analogues in real analysis.

4. How is the Cauchy-Riemann equation used in complex analysis?

The Cauchy-Riemann equation is a set of necessary and sufficient conditions for a function to be holomorphic. This equation is used to determine the differentiability of complex functions and to prove the properties of holomorphic functions.

5. What are some important theorems in complex analysis?

Some important theorems in complex analysis include the Cauchy integral theorem, Cauchy integral formula, and the maximum modulus principle. These theorems are used to evaluate complex integrals, calculate residues, and determine the behavior of holomorphic functions, respectively.