How long will a star remain stable by burning Silicon

In summary, the conversation is about using the semi-empirical mass formula to calculate the energy released in a nuclear reaction and finding the time it takes for silicon burning to sustain a star. The calculated energy released in the reaction of 28Si + 4He --> 32S + gamma is 9.6MeV, and the total energy released in the core is 6.48x1043J. However, the answer for the time is considered to be incorrect due to not taking into account the production of an iron core, which will reach the Chandrasekar limit before all of the silicon is fused.
TheTourist
Given the semi-empirical mass formula for the binding energy of a nucleus is
B(Z,A)=a1A-a2A2/3-a3Z2/A1/3-a4(Z-N)2/A+delta(Z,A)

calculate the energy released in the reaction 28Si +4He --> 32S + gamma.

Hence find how long silicon burning will sustain a massive star which has 1Mo of silicon in its core and a luminosity of 105Lo. Comment on the answer you get and is it the right answer, if not, why not?

Take the binding energy of Helium-4 to be 26.7MeV which is not accurately predicted by this formula

Ok, i calculated that energy released in the reaction is about 9.6MeV. I then found the number of silicon nuclei in the core, by dividing total mass by mass of one silicon nuclei, and hence the total energy which is 6.48x1043J.

To find the time I divided this total energy by the luminosity which gave 1.71x1012s, or 54,191 years.

The reason I think this is the wrong answer is because it is not taking into account the iron core that is produced, which will reach the Chandrasekar limit before all of the silicon is fused. Hence the answer is too large.

Can someone please check my method and final answer are reasonable; I know the answer is a lot bigger than the actual value.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, i calculated that energy released in the reaction is about 9.6MeV. I then found the number of silicon nuclei in the core, by dividing total mass by mass of one silicon nuclei, and hence the total energy which is 6.48x1043J.To find the time I divided this total energy by the luminosity which gave 1.71x1012s, or 54,191 years.The reason I think this is the wrong answer is because it is not taking into account the iron core that is produced, which will reach the Chandrasekar limit before all of the silicon is fused. Hence the answer is too large.Can someone please check my method and final answer are reasonable; I know the answer is a lot bigger than the actual value.

1. How long will a star remain stable by burning Silicon?

The answer to this question depends on the size and type of star, as well as its current stage in its lifecycle. Generally, a star will remain stable by burning Silicon for a few million to a few billion years.

2. What happens after a star burns through all its Silicon?

After a star has burned through all of its Silicon, it will continue to fuse heavier elements until it reaches Iron. At this point, it will no longer be able to sustain nuclear fusion and will begin to collapse under its own gravity.

3. Can a star continue to burn Silicon indefinitely?

No, a star cannot continue to burn Silicon indefinitely. Eventually, the star will run out of Silicon and will either transition to a different stage in its lifecycle or will collapse and die.

4. How does the burning of Silicon affect a star's temperature and luminosity?

As a star burns through its Silicon, it will increase in temperature and luminosity. This is because the fusion of Silicon releases a significant amount of energy, which causes the star to become hotter and brighter.

5. What are the consequences of a star burning through all its Silicon?

When a star burns through all of its Silicon, it will eventually reach the end of its life cycle. Depending on its size, it may explode in a supernova, leaving behind a neutron star or black hole, or it may peacefully fade away as a white dwarf.