Simulation of tennis net <-> ball collision?

In summary: For the cloth simulation I'm using a mass-spring system where the movement is propagated through verlet integration (this is the standard form of cloth simulation in games). As input I need the ball to perturb the intersected vertices in order for the system work to work.
five1mon
Hey All
I'm going to implement a tennis net for a video game. I already have the animation of the net in place (I think) through cloth simulation. What's missing is a physics simulation of the collision between the ball and the net?

I think the net could be modeled as an elastic rectangular surface, where the vertical edges are rigid and the horizontal edges are less elastic then the inner surface.

Can anybody direct me how to compute such a thing?

The thing has to run in real-time on quite low-end machines so the computations can't be too expensive(complicated).

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The net swaying doesn't really have much effect on the game, so do you really think it's worth the effort to model it realistically? Maybe just do a collision detection, animate the net with your cloth simulation and have the ball bounce as if off a rectangular surface w/ added dampening.

Last edited:
DavidSnider said:
The net swaying doesn't really have much effect on the game, so do you really think it's worth the effort to model it realistically? Maybe just do a collision detection, animate the net with your cloth simulation and have the ball bounce as if off a rectangular surface w/ added dampening.

For the cloth simulation I'm using a mass-spring system where the movement is propagated through verlet integration (this is the standard form of cloth simulation in games). As input I need the ball to perturb the intersected vertices in order for the system work to work.

I totaly agree that the system doesn't need to be realistic. But I would like to have the ball perturbing the vertices with a different magnitude dependent on if the ball hits in the middle, near the posts, ner the top etc. The nets will mostly be viewed up front and there will be cut scenes / re-plays where the net moves in slow motion.

1. What factors affect the collision between a tennis ball and net?

The main factors that affect the collision between a tennis ball and net are the speed and spin of the ball, the tension of the net, and the angle at which the ball hits the net. These factors can all be manipulated in a simulation to accurately model the collision.

2. How is the trajectory of the ball affected by the collision with the net?

The trajectory of the ball can be altered by the collision with the net depending on the angle and speed at which it hits the net. In a simulation, the trajectory of the ball can be accurately predicted by using the laws of physics and incorporating the factors mentioned in the first question.

3. Can a simulation accurately predict the outcome of a real-life tennis game?

While a simulation can provide a realistic representation of the collision between a tennis ball and net, it is not possible to predict the exact outcome of a real-life tennis game. There are many variables at play in a real game, such as player skill and environmental factors, that cannot be completely modeled in a simulation.

4. How can a simulation be used to improve player performance?

A simulation can be used to analyze different strategies and techniques in a controlled environment. By adjusting the parameters in the simulation, players can see how different factors affect the collision between the ball and net and how they can improve their game. This can also help coaches and trainers in developing training programs for players.

5. Is it possible to create a simulation that includes all the complexities of a real tennis game?

Creating a simulation that includes all the complexities of a real tennis game is a difficult task, as there are many variables and factors at play in a real game. However, advancements in technology and algorithms have allowed for more sophisticated simulations that can accurately model the collision between a tennis ball and net, and even factor in other variables such as wind and humidity. As technology continues to improve, the accuracy and complexity of simulations will also increase.