Integration of the dot product of two vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion between two equations involving a dot product and the vector W with components denoted by W_i. The first equation is deemed incorrect as a dot product cannot be performed on a number and a vector. The second equation's meaning depends on the vector v. The concept of a dot product is explained as the amount of one vector in the direction of another, and its physical interpretation is illustrated with the example of work. The conversation concludes with the confirmation that the dot product of two vectors yields a scalar.
hoomanya
Hi,

I am having problems understanding the difference between the equations in the files attached profile2.png. where W_i is just representing the ith component of the variable W, and n and v under bars are two vectors, and gamma is a boundary and gamma_e shows is a boundary.

what confuses me the most is the presence of the dot.

Any help would be appreciated very much.

Thanks,

Attachments

• profile2.png
    profile2.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 653
Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]W_i[/itex] is the ith component of the vector W, then the first one simply makes no sense. You cannot have a dot product of a number and a vector.
[tex]\int_{\Gamma_e} \vec{W}\cdot \vec{n} d\Gamma[/tex]
would make sense.

What the second one means depends upon what the vector v is.

Thanks. Ok ! Can you please tell me what a dot product of two vectors gives you? A scalor or a vector? and what that means physically?

Also would the second equation make sense if it was W_i was a vector?

The basic idea of something like [tex]\vec{u}\cdot \vec{v}[/tex] is that it gives you the amount of u in the direction of v, times the magnitude of v. So a classic example is work [tex]W=\vec{F}\cdot\vec{x}[/tex] which gives you the amount of force in the direction of displacement x, times the amount of displacement (magnitude of x).

Do you want to know how to calculate it? Have you looked at the wikipedia page yet? Does that make sense or no?

The dot product of two vectors, by definition, is a scalar.

Thanks for you answers. Wikipedia made sense also. :)

What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation that produces a scalar quantity by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

How is the dot product calculated?

The dot product is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding those products together. This can be written as a formula: A · B = |A| |B| cos θ, where A and B are the two vectors, |A| and |B| are their magnitudes, and θ is the angle between them.

What does the dot product tell us about the relationship between two vectors?

The dot product can tell us about the angle between two vectors. If the dot product is positive, it means the vectors are pointing in the same direction or have a small angle between them. If the dot product is negative, it means the vectors are pointing in opposite directions or have a large angle between them. A dot product of zero means the vectors are perpendicular to each other.

What is the significance of the dot product in physics and engineering?

The dot product is used in physics and engineering to calculate work, force, and energy. It also helps determine the angle between two vectors in a system, which is important in understanding the motion and direction of objects.

How is the dot product related to vector projection?

The dot product is used to calculate the projection of one vector onto another. The projection of vector A onto vector B is equal to the magnitude of vector A times the cosine of the angle between A and B. This is useful in finding the component of a vector that is in the same direction as another vector.