Simple relativity question [two ships]

In summary, two identical ships launch on parallel paths r distance apart. They are completely alone and once they both reach a velocity v, they turn off their engines and coast. Someone on a ship cannot determine the velocity v by measuring the decreasing distance between the two ships over time, as they are motionless relative to each other. Therefore, the relativistic mass of each ship would be the same as its rest mass. Additionally, the gravitational attraction between the two ships does not increase with their velocity, contrary to popular belief. In terms of their arrangement, the ships are side by side.
nearc
Gold Member
two identical ships launch on parallel paths r distance apart. the are completely alone [nothing to affect them gravitationally [but themselves]]. once they reach some velocity v [they both reach the same velocity at the same time [everything is identical]] they turn off their engines and coast.

can someone on a ship determine the velocity v by measuring the decreasing distance between the two ships over time? [i.e. the faster they go, the more mass they have and the more they should be attracted to each other?]

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the two ships remain at rest relative to each other, each would measure the relativistic mass of the other to be identical to the rest mass.

Just a point of clarification: did you mean that the two ships are side by side or one in front of the other or some other arrangement?

nearc said:
two identical ships launch on parallel paths r distance apart. the are completely alone [nothing to affect them gravitationally [but themselves]]. once they reach some velocity v [they both reach the same velocity at the same time [everything is identical]] they turn off their engines and coast.

can someone on a ship determine the velocity v by measuring the decreasing distance between the two ships over time? [i.e. the faster they go, the more mass they have and the more they should be attracted to each other?]
You are not thinking in "relative" terms! The faster they go relative to what? If they are on parallel courses, at the same speed, they are each motionless relative to each other and each would measure the other to have its rest mass.

nearc said:
[i.e. the faster they go, the more mass they have and the more they should be attracted to each other?]
No, they do not have increased gravitational attraction.

With increased momentum another thread recently concluded the time to collide would be increased...meaning LESS gravitational attraction...!

I'll post that thread here if I can find it...

ghwellsjr said:
Just a point of clarification: did you mean that the two ships are side by side or one in front of the other or some other arrangement?

they are side by side

Naty1 said:
With increased momentum another thread recently concluded the time to collide would be increased...meaning LESS gravitational attraction...!

I'll post that thread here if I can find it...

i'd love to see that and another info an this thought.

I think the gravitational attraction as seen by everyone else is reduced, they would attract more slowly.

nearc said:
ghwellsjr said:
they are side by side
In that case, what HallsofIvy said here is correct:
HallsofIvy said:
If they are on parallel courses, at the same speed, they are each motionless relative to each other...
Actually, what he said is also true if one was in front of the other after they reached their final velocity, but during their acceleration, they will be moving farther apart and end greater than the distance r between them.

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of "simple relativity" in this question?

The concept of simple relativity refers to the theory of relativity, which is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between time, space, and gravity. In this question, it is used to explain the effects of time dilation and length contraction on two ships in motion.

2. How does the speed of the ships affect the time difference between them?

The speed of the ships does not directly affect the time difference between them. However, according to the theory of relativity, time moves slower for objects in motion compared to those at rest. Therefore, the faster the ships are moving, the greater the time difference between them will be.

3. Is it possible for one ship to age faster than the other in this scenario?

Yes, it is possible for one ship to age faster than the other in this scenario. This is due to the time dilation effect, where an object in motion experiences time at a slower rate compared to an object at rest. So, the ship that is moving will age slower than the stationary ship, resulting in a time difference between them.

4. How does the distance between the ships affect the length contraction?

The distance between the ships does not directly affect the length contraction. Length contraction is a result of the theory of relativity, where an object in motion appears shorter in the direction of motion compared to its rest length. So, the distance between the ships will not change the amount of length contraction, but it may affect how much the length of the ships appears to change to an observer.

5. Can the time difference and length contraction be observed by someone on the ships?

Yes, the time difference and length contraction can be observed by someone on the ships. However, the observer on the ships will not notice any changes as they are also moving at the same speed. Only an external observer who is not in motion with the ships will be able to observe the effects of time dilation and length contraction.