Effect of ratio of energy density of matter and radiation on redshift

I'm not sure if this is everything, but I think that's the basic idea.In summary, if the ratio of energy densities of matter and radiation in the universe was much higher than it is today, it would result in a higher redshift and earlier switch from radiation-dominated to matter-dominated eras. This would also lead to less damping of perturbations within the particle horizon, allowing for more large-scale structures to form. However, the exact effects on perturbations and acoustic waves are still uncertain.
cp05

Homework Statement

If the ratio of the energy densities of matter and radiation was much higher than it is today (by several orders of magnitude), in a few sentences describe what effect this would have on the redshift (or scale factor) when the universe switched from being "radiation-dominated" to "matter-dominated", and hence on the damping of any "acoustic waves" within the "particle horizon"

Homework Equations

There's no equations, but the question says to look at a figure in the text. If you google "evolution of baryonic jeans mass and baryonic mass within particle horizon with scale factor", the first link that comes up takes you right to that page.

The Attempt at a Solution

First off, I don't understand what the figure we're supposed to look at has anything to do with the question.

I'm assuming the question is asking what will happen to the redshift when the universe switched from being radiation to matter dominated if there is a lot more matter in the universe than radiation, correct? I'm guessing the redshift would be higher (or larger...so the universe would make the switch earlier in its lifetime). And now I'm supposed to say how this affects the perturbations...if there are more perturbations therefore more large-scale structures formed or if the perturbations are damped within the particle horizon.

But I don't understand how the particle horizon and Jean's mass works...because if you're outside of the particle horizon then you can collapse, but if you are inside you can't. But in a matter-dominated universe the jean's mass is inside the particle horizon and we still have growing perturbations if their mass is greater than Jeans mass. Can someone explain how this works to me??

Right now I will guess that there is less damping of the perturbations because the era of recombination is happening earlier in time which makes jeans mass way smaller and more perturbations can collapse. But I really can't explain why this is correct (if it even is)

Thanks for all the help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF cp05!

cp05 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

First off, I don't understand what the figure we're supposed to look at has anything to do with the question.

Is there any way that you can show us the figure?

cp05 said:
I'm assuming the question is asking what will happen to the redshift when the universe switched from being radiation to matter dominated if there is a lot more matter in the universe than radiation, correct? I'm guessing the redshift would be higher (or larger...so the universe would make the switch earlier in its lifetime).

Yeah. This is really easy to show quantitatively. How does the matter density vary with scale factor? Hint: for matter, in any given volume, the total particle number is conserved, and this volume increases with the cube of the scale factor. Now, how does the radiation density vary with scale factor? What happens when you equate the two of them?

cp05 said:
And now I'm supposed to say how this affects the perturbations...if there are more perturbations therefore more large-scale structures formed or if the perturbations are damped within the particle horizon.

I'm a little less certain on this stuff, but here's what I do know. The trick is that during the radiation dominated era, the Jeans mass is on the same order as the mass enclosed in a horizon volume. Therefore, as soon as a perturbation enters the horizon during the radiation dominated era, it is stabilized against collapse (because it is less massive than the Jeans mass), and it begins to undergo acoustic oscillations. In contrast, perturbations on super-horizon scales continue to grow slowly during this era. Therefore, for perturbations with size scales less than or equal to the horizon scale at the epoch of equality, there is an attenuation. These perturbations didn't grow during the radiation dominated era, whereas the ones larger than the horizon scale at equality did grow. If you change when the epoch of equality occurred, you change which size scales are affected by this attenuation. That's all I know.

1. What is the effect of the ratio of energy density of matter and radiation on redshift?

The ratio of energy density of matter and radiation has a significant effect on redshift, which is a measure of how much the light from an object is stretched as it travels through the expanding universe. This ratio determines the amount of gravitational pull that matter has on the light, which in turn affects the observed redshift.

2. How does the energy density of matter and radiation affect redshift?

The energy density of matter and radiation affects redshift through the phenomenon of gravitational redshift. This occurs when light is emitted from an object with a high gravitational potential, such as a galaxy or a star. As the light travels through space, it is stretched due to the gravitational pull of matter, resulting in a shift towards the red end of the spectrum.

3. What is the relationship between the energy density of matter and radiation and the observed redshift?

The relationship between the energy density of matter and radiation and the observed redshift is inversely proportional. This means that as the energy density of matter increases, the observed redshift decreases. Similarly, as the energy density of radiation increases, the observed redshift also decreases. This relationship is a result of the gravitational redshift effect.

4. How do changes in the energy density of matter and radiation impact the redshift of distant objects?

Changes in the energy density of matter and radiation can have a significant impact on the redshift of distant objects. As the universe expands, the energy density of matter decreases while the energy density of radiation remains constant. This change in energy density affects the amount of gravitational pull on light, resulting in a change in the observed redshift of distant objects.

5. Are there any other factors besides the energy density of matter and radiation that can affect redshift?

While the energy density of matter and radiation are the primary factors that affect redshift, there are other factors that can also play a role. For example, the expansion of the universe itself can cause a redshift in the light from distant objects. Additionally, the presence of dark energy, which is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe, can also impact redshift measurements.