Find the volume of the region inside the sphere and cylinder?

In summary, the task at hand is to find the volume of the region inside the given sphere, under the xy-plane, and inside the given cylinder. The solution involves using integrals in cylindrical coordinates with limits of r=[0,sqrt5], theta=[0,2pi], and z=[0,sqrt(9-r^2)]. This approach eliminates the need for tricky angle integration.
khfrekek92

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the region inside the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=9, under the xy-plane, and inside the cylinder x^2+y^2=5.

Homework Equations

Need to use integrals in eaither cylindrical or spherical I'm guessing?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've graphed it and I know what region I'm evaluating, but I don't know how to set up the integral.. Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi khfrekek92 ! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

i'd use cylindrical (rather than spherical), because then there's no tricky angle integration :rolleyes:

can you describe in words what the limits are on cylindrical r and z in this case? :wink:

Thank you so much! :) And thanks for that useful hint too haha ;)
P.S. The question actually asks for the top portion of this sphere instead of the bottom, soooo... so I'm guessing I would do the triple integral (rdzdthetadr) with z=[0,sqrt(9-r^2)], theta=[0,2pi], and r=[0,sqrt5] ?

Thank you so much! :) And thanks for that useful hint too haha ;)
P.S. The question actually asks for the top portion of this sphere instead of the bottom, soooo... so I'm guessing I would do the triple integral (rdzdthetadr) with z=[0,sqrt(9-r^2)], theta=[0,2pi], and r=[0,sqrt5] ?

khfrekek92 said:
… I would do the triple integral (rdzdthetadr) with z=[0,sqrt(9-r^2)], theta=[0,2pi], and r=[0,sqrt5] ?

yup! :smile:

Yay! Thanks so much tiny-tim! :)

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a sphere and cylinder?

The formula for finding the volume of a sphere is (4/3)πr^3, where r is the radius. The formula for finding the volume of a cylinder is πr^2h, where r is the radius and h is the height.

2. How do you know which measurements to use for the sphere and cylinder?

For a sphere, you will need to know the radius. For a cylinder, you will need to know the radius and the height. These measurements can usually be found in the problem or given to you.

3. Can you explain the process for finding the volume of a sphere and cylinder?

To find the volume of a sphere, you will need to plug the radius into the formula (4/3)πr^3. To find the volume of a cylinder, you will need to square the radius, multiply by π, and then multiply by the height. These processes will give you the volume in cubic units.

4. What units should be used for the volume of a sphere and cylinder?

The volume of a sphere and cylinder will be in cubic units, such as cubic inches, cubic centimeters, or cubic feet.

5. Are there any real-world applications for finding the volume of a sphere and cylinder?

Yes, finding the volume of a sphere and cylinder has many real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a swimming pool, determining the capacity of a water tank, or measuring the amount of space inside a medicine capsule.