Time taken for two substances to reach equilibrium (equation?)

In summary, the conversation revolves around the formula for the time it takes for a system to reach equilibrium, specifically in regards to changes in volume and temperature. It is mentioned that this is more of a physics question and the formula involves the forward and reverse rate constants for a simple A <-> B chemical reaction. The time constant is also discussed and its relevance to the equation and a graph attached is mentioned.
Da Apprentice
I was wondering is there a formula that relates to the time it takes for a system to reach equilibrium? For example in an experiment I used one beaker at 25C inside another at 100C. The volume of the inner beakers was 1/2 that of the outer and with this combiation it took 7minutes for both beakers to reach the same temperature. If the volume of the inner beaker were changed to 1/4 of the outer beaker (starting at the same temperatures) would it take half the time to reach equilibrium as the previous example?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This is more of a physics question. For a simple A <-> B chemical reaction with forward rate k1 and reverse rate constant k2 the time constant for reaching equlibrium is 1/(k1 + k2) if I remember correctly.

Nemus said:
This is more of a physics question. For a simple A <-> B chemical reaction with forward rate k1 and reverse rate constant k2 the time constant for reaching equlibrium is 1/(k1 + k2) if I remember correctly.

The time constant how is this then used? Forward and Reverse rate - are these the rates at which the equation takes to reach equilibrium? e.g. Graph attached?

EDIT: Ignore the writing at the bottom of the graph - I know it's a pointless statement

Attachments

• Graph of Results.png
    Graph of Results.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 1,073
Last edited:

What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state in which the rate of a forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction, resulting in a constant concentration of reactants and products.

How is equilibrium reached between two substances?

Equilibrium is reached when the rates of the forward and reverse reactions are equal and the concentrations of reactants and products remain constant. This can be achieved by either changing the conditions of the reaction, such as temperature or pressure, or by adjusting the concentrations of reactants and products.

What factors affect the time taken for two substances to reach equilibrium?

The time taken for two substances to reach equilibrium can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, concentration of reactants and products, and the presence of a catalyst.

Is there an equation for calculating the time taken for two substances to reach equilibrium?

Yes, the time taken for two substances to reach equilibrium can be calculated using the equilibrium constant (K) and the initial concentrations of the reactants and products. The equation is t = ln(K)/k, where t is the time, K is the equilibrium constant, and k is the rate constant.

How can the time taken for two substances to reach equilibrium be determined experimentally?

The time taken for two substances to reach equilibrium can be determined experimentally by measuring the concentrations of reactants and products at different time intervals and plotting a graph of concentration versus time. The point at which the concentrations remain constant is the point of equilibrium.