What is the difference in radiation dosage between digital and film x-rays?

In summary, the conversation is about the dosage and potential danger of x-ray radiation in medical tests, particularly for children. The OP is looking for help in calculating the dose from their x-ray device, specifically a General Electric device, and has received a link to a calculator for film x-rays. The conversation also touches on the lack of knowledge and training among technicians and staff regarding the dangers of ionizing radiation, and the potential for excessive exposure. There is also a link provided to an article discussing the dangers of radiation exposure in children.
Nidal
Is there a radiation physicist can help me calculate my xray medical tests by msv ?

Thank u

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you know any info about the x-ray device? How much it emits or anything? Also, what kind of X-ray did you get and to what location?

Hi, its for my child 2 years & 3 months.
General Electric Device, In Emergency Section, 3 Lung Xray, ( Digital ).
After Amonth, Same Room, 3 Knees Xray, ( Digital ).
After aweak, asmaller device in children section, i think its general electric also, digital, 6 pelvis included knees Xrays, no protection to stomach or penis, but when i opened the cd, the first 2 tests in emergency section was more clear photos than the third.

12 tests in 42 days.

the clearer the photos the higher the kvp... seems like some serious dose rates, most lead shields are .5mm lead, I would use a few of them if it were me under the primary beam.

I don't know the average power of x-ray machines, so I cannot make a guess. Perhaps someone else does?

One of the weirdest things with medical x-ray is that usually none of the doctors or technicians got a slightest clue what the dose is. That kind of boggles my mind.
Then, as consequence, such stuff happens:
http://www.auntminnie.com/index.asp?sec=ser&sub=def&pag=dis&ItemID=83566
"the technologist took 151 CT scans in a 65-minute period", resulting in radiation burn.
It is not an uncommon occurrence. This sort of injury is directly caused by viewing effects of radiation as 'negligible'.

You can probably find the dose from the operational manual of the exact device in question. If technicians do not know it[the exact dose], they did not RTFM properly.

Last edited:
Yeah, you need to know the digital x-ray device and also the type of electronic sensor to calculate dose. Normally, the dose should be less than with using film x-ray but wrong length of exposure(as in they did not RTFM properly) and/or excessive frequency(since dose is reduced they think nothing of taking more x-rays than really needed) sometimes ends up giving the recipient more exposure than less.

Dmytry said:
One of the weirdest things with medical x-ray is that usually none of the doctors or technicians got a slightest clue what the dose is. That kind of boggles my mind.
Then, as consequence, such stuff happens:
http://www.auntminnie.com/index.asp?sec=ser&sub=def&pag=dis&ItemID=83566
"the technologist took 151 CT scans in a 65-minute period", resulting in radiation burn.
It is not an uncommon occurrence. This sort of injury is directly caused by viewing effects of radiation as 'negligible'.

You can probably find the dose from the operational manual of the exact device in question. If technicians do not know it[the exact dose], they did not RTFM properly.

I could definitely see some additional training or emphasis placed on training technicians. That is, if they don't already receive training for it.

The problem IMO arises as the techs/staff have little knowledge about the dangers of ionizing radiation, One tech told me once that she's safe as long as she is 5 feet away from the tube. I thought she was joking but she was serious, I asked her if she wanted me to take the lead and lead glass window out of the control screen since its not needed. It would be a real eye opener if the techs were given the use of the radiation safety officers meters to see what type of scatter is emitted from not only the patient but the tube itself. the cumulative dose during a yearly workload is something no tech has ever mention in my presence.

Danuta said:
This calculator is for film x-rays. OP states "digital" where dosage should be much less.

Can you or anyone kindly produce the difference in dose or even kvp or msv towards digital and film type radiation exposure. dosage much less? not even close IMHO

ty

What is a medical xray calculator?

A medical xray calculator is a tool used by healthcare professionals to determine the appropriate amount of radiation to use when performing xray imaging on a patient. It takes into account the type of xray, the body part being imaged, and the patient's age and size to calculate the safest and most effective radiation dose.

Why is a medical xray calculator important?

A medical xray calculator is important because it helps healthcare professionals minimize the risks associated with radiation exposure. By calculating the appropriate dose for each patient, unnecessary exposure is avoided, reducing the risk of potential side effects such as radiation burns and cancer.

Who uses a medical xray calculator?

Medical xray calculators are used by radiologists, radiographers, and other healthcare professionals who perform or oversee xray imaging. They are also commonly used in hospitals, clinics, and imaging centers.

How accurate are medical xray calculators?

Medical xray calculators are highly accurate, as they are based on established medical guidelines and algorithms. However, it's important for healthcare professionals to input the correct information and regularly update the calculator to ensure the most accurate results.

Are there different types of medical xray calculators?

Yes, there are different types of medical xray calculators that may be used for different types of imaging or for different patient populations. Some may be specific to pediatric patients, while others may be tailored for specific imaging techniques such as CT scans or mammograms.