Deciding between Majors; EE+Physics OR CompE+Physics

• Programs
  • Thread starter div4200
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks for your answer. If I may ask, could you tell me about what you job is like? What kinds of things do you do every day?I work for a company that manufactures electronics. I don't want to provide a lot of detail about it for privacy reasons. My days are pretty evenly spent between sitting at a desk doing things like working on schematic drawings and doing hands-on work (helping with manufacturing and testing our products). Since I am a recent graduate, I haven't had to do any really hard-core engineering design yet (but hopefully I will in the future). However, there is a wide range in what environments EEs can be employed in. I like hands-on work so my job is a good fit
div4200
Hello all,

I am a student at a major American university who has just finished his/her first year. I came in undecided on my major. The two that I was and still am considering are

- a dual-major in Electrical Engineering and Physics
- a dual-major in Computer Engineering and Physics

With either one, I would only actually receive one degree, a B.S. in either Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering, depending on which program I choose. A little more than half of the classes that I would take would be engineering-related (including electives) and the rest physics classes, including a couple of physics electives.

As you have probably inferred by this time, I could use some help deciding between these two. What I would really appreciate from anyone who is kind enough to offer their time and knowledge are the following things:

1. A comparison of employment opportunities. Would choosing one over the other limit my opportunities in a particular field? Is one more broad than the other? What kinds of jobs could I get with each one, and how much do they overlap?

2. Your thoughts about going to graduate school with one of these degrees. I'm not sure what my plans for graduate school will be, but I will either study Electrical and/or Computer Engineering, or Physics. I'm not sure if I would be going for an M.S. or a PhD. How would graduate programs for engineering and those for physics view one of these dual-majors? If I wanted to study physics, would my lack of an actual physics degree be a problem?

3. Building on the last point in the above section, would I be better off choosing to the a B.S. in the engineering discipline, or in physics? The only difference seems to be that I would take a few more electives in the degree subject compared to the supplemental subject.

Finally, I think that it should be known that at least at the moment :) my main interest in in solid-state memory, in terms of both theory and applications. Really, I would be interested in a field that combines both physics (quantum mechanics, E+M, etc.) with computer hardware.
I am also somewhat indifferent to programming. I can do it, and am good at it, but it isn't all that much exciting to me.

If anyone can give me any insight it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
div4200

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My advice would be to major in EE, not CompE (I recently finished my EE degree and am now employed as an electrical engineer). In some ways, you can look at CompE as a sub-field of the broader field of EE.

If you majored in EE and wanted to go to grad school in CompE, you would likely be able to do so. However, if you majored in CompE and wanted to go to grad school in EE, there would likely be gaps in your knowledge compared to EE majors. This is because COmpEs often don't have to take as much coursework in areas such as electromagnetics, signal processing, and electronics.

To give you a specific example, at my school, the majors were pretty similar. CompE majors at my school take very similar classes to the EE majors, except for they don't have to take as many classes in electronics and signal processing, and instead take classes on microprocessors and programming.

Thanks for your answer. If I may ask, could you tell me about what you job is like? What kinds of things do you do every day?

I work for a company that manufactures electronics. I don't want to provide a lot of detail about it for privacy reasons. My days are pretty evenly spent between sitting at a desk doing things like working on schematic drawings and doing hands-on work (helping with manufacturing and testing our products). Since I am a recent graduate, I haven't had to do any really hard-core engineering design yet (but hopefully I will in the future). However, there is a wide range in what environments EEs can be employed in. I like hands-on work so my job is a good fit for me, but for people that prefer desk jobs, there are plenty of EE jobs like that, too.

I would encourage you to carefully consider your interests and strengths before making a decision between these two majors. Both EE+Physics and CompE+Physics are excellent options and can lead to a wide range of career opportunities.

1. In terms of employment opportunities, both majors have strong job prospects. Electrical engineering is a broad field with applications in industries such as energy, telecommunications, and electronics. Computer engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the design and development of computer systems and software. Both fields are in high demand and offer competitive salaries. It ultimately comes down to your personal interests and which field you see yourself thriving in.

2. If you are considering graduate school, having a dual-major in either EE+Physics or CompE+Physics can make you a strong candidate for both engineering and physics programs. Your potential for graduate studies may also depend on your coursework and research experience in your chosen field, rather than the specific degree title. It is important to research the specific requirements and preferences of the graduate programs you are interested in.

3. Choosing one major over the other may depend on your long term career goals. If you are interested in pursuing a career in engineering, then a B.S. in engineering may be the better option. However, if you are more interested in pursuing a career in physics, then a B.S. in physics may be more beneficial. It is important to keep in mind that both majors will have overlapping courses and will provide you with a strong foundation in both fields.

In terms of your interest in solid-state memory, both majors can provide you with the necessary skills and knowledge to work in this field. It may be beneficial to research the specific courses and research opportunities offered in each major to see which aligns more closely with your interests.

Ultimately, the decision between EE+Physics and CompE+Physics should be based on your personal interests and strengths. Both majors offer unique and valuable skills that can lead to a successful career. I would also recommend speaking to academic advisors and professionals in each field to gain more insight and guidance. Best of luck with your decision!

1. What is the difference between an EE+Physics major and a CompE+Physics major?

An EE+Physics major focuses on the study of electrical systems and their interactions with the physical world, while a CompE+Physics major combines the principles of computer engineering and physics to design and develop computer systems and software.

2. Which major is more mathematically intensive?

Both majors require a strong foundation in mathematics, but an EE+Physics major may be slightly more mathematically intensive due to the complex equations and calculations involved in electrical systems.

3. What career opportunities are available for each major?

Both majors offer a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, research, and technology. An EE+Physics major may lead to careers in electronics, power systems, or telecommunications, while a CompE+Physics major can lead to careers in software development, computer hardware design, or data analytics.

4. Is it possible to double major in both EE+Physics and CompE+Physics?

It is possible to double major in both EE+Physics and CompE+Physics, but it may require a heavy course load and careful planning in order to complete both programs within a reasonable timeframe.

5. Which major is better for pursuing a graduate degree?

Both majors can prepare students for graduate studies, but it ultimately depends on the specific program and requirements of the graduate degree. An EE+Physics major may be better suited for graduate studies in fields such as electrical engineering, while a CompE+Physics major may be more beneficial for graduate studies in computer science or software engineering.