Who/what is behind earthquakes?

• Thread starter kthouz
  • Start date
In summary, scientists are not sure why there have been so many earthquakes recently, but they believe it may be due to energy released from the Earth bytes by Tesla.
kthouz
Hello everyone,
After observing these last consecutive earthquakes in history, i asked myself: is it possible to induce an earthquake?
I do not know if this is the first time that our planet goes through a such period of successive strong earthquakes. If yes, do you still thinking that earthquakes are natural?
As far as am concerned, there are not natural since only developed countries are the ones that are mostly target (Japan, USA, ...), why not africa?
I would think there must be some experiments going out there around the planet (especially in those developed areas) that may be the cause of these strong earthquakes that our planet is going through. Or, also, there may be some extra-terrestrial factors, for example interactions between planets, ...

Physics news on Phys.org
who/what is behind earthquakes?obviously it is George Bush's fault!

You're seeing a reporting bias. How much Africa news do you watch? Tune into a lot of African tweets? How many news reports have you read from past geologic ages?

Earthquakes are natural.

There have been movies (notably a James Bond movie) about "inducing" earthquakes but the energy required to do such a thing would be impossible. I don't know why you say "only developed countries are the ones that are mostly target". That certainly is NOT true. The last two happened to be in Japan and the United States (I sat through the one yesterday- I was thinking "Oh, there goes the dog upstairs. Wait, he isn't that big!") but two is a very small sample.

January first of this year, Argentina got hit by a 7.0 mag quake and the next day, Chile got hit by a 7.1 mag quake. And, in fact, Chile was hit by two more earthquakes, of magnitudes 6.7 and 6.8 in February of this year! If you are looking for a conspiracy, start looking for who has it in for Chile! In fact, there have been 41 earthquakes of magnitude 4.0 or higher so far this year, five of which were in the United States, none of magnitude greater than 5.9, and one in Japan.

Tesla is inducing earthquakes from his grave lololol

Probably by rolling over in his grave.

HallsofIvy said:
Probably by rolling over in his grave.

I was going to say it's due to the Chile (chili)...

:rolleyes: Discussion of conspiracy theories is not permitted.

Aww- but this thread is so much fun!

1. What causes earthquakes?

Earthquakes are caused by the sudden release of energy in the Earth's crust. This energy is released when tectonic plates, which make up the Earth's surface, move and grind against each other. The build-up and release of this energy is what causes the ground to shake.

2. Can earthquakes be predicted?

Currently, scientists are unable to accurately predict when and where an earthquake will occur. While some warning systems have been developed, they are still in the early stages of development and are not yet able to predict earthquakes with any significant accuracy.

3. Are all earthquakes caused by natural events?

The majority of earthquakes are caused by natural events, such as tectonic activity or volcanic eruptions. However, human activities such as drilling for oil or mining can also trigger earthquakes in certain circumstances.

4. How do scientists measure earthquakes?

Scientists use a tool called a seismograph to measure earthquakes. This instrument records the shaking of the ground and produces a graphical representation of the earthquake, called a seismogram. The magnitude of an earthquake is measured using the Richter scale, which is based on the amplitude of the seismic waves recorded by the seismograph.

5. Can humans cause earthquakes?

While humans can indirectly trigger earthquakes through activities such as fracking or building large dams, we do not have the ability to cause earthquakes on our own. The energy required to create an earthquake is far beyond our capabilities. However, human activities can contribute to the likelihood and severity of earthquakes in certain areas.