What does Resonance Frequency mean?

In summary, The speaker is seeking information about resonance width in an RLC circuit, as they are unsure about its meaning and how to calculate it. They have not covered it in class and have not found helpful information when searching online.
Joe626
Sorry if this is in the wrong subsection, i figured this would be the most appropriate section. *** title has a mistake. i meant resonance WIDTH not its freq.***

anyway, i came across resonance WIDTH (sorry not freq.) in one of my HW problems. I honestly can't recall ever going over this in class and when i googled it i didnt find anything particularly helpful. i just would like to know what it means and what equations i can use to find it. It is about RLC circuits if that is important.

thanks for the help in advance :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well resonance occurs when essentially the circuit essentially just becomes a resistor.

1. What is resonance frequency?

Resonance frequency is the natural frequency at which an object or system vibrates with the greatest amplitude when excited by an external force or stimulus.

2. How is resonance frequency different from natural frequency?

Resonance frequency and natural frequency are often used interchangeably, but technically, natural frequency refers to the frequency at which an undamped system vibrates without any external force acting on it, while resonance frequency refers to the frequency at which an externally driven system vibrates with the greatest amplitude.

3. What causes resonance frequency?

Resonance frequency is caused by the transfer of energy between the external force and the natural frequency of the object or system. This energy transfer is maximized at the resonance frequency, resulting in increased amplitude of vibration.

4. How is resonance frequency important in scientific research?

Resonance frequency is an important concept in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and medicine. It is used to understand and analyze the behavior of vibrating systems, such as musical instruments, bridges, and even cells and molecules.

5. Can resonance frequency be harmful?

In some cases, resonance frequency can be harmful, especially if it causes excessive vibration or stress on a structure. For example, strong winds at the resonance frequency of a bridge can cause it to vibrate and potentially collapse. In medical contexts, resonance frequency can also be used to destroy cancer cells, but it can also cause harm to healthy cells if not controlled properly.