Ionisation by a magnetic field?

In summary: Thanks! If the problem is that it requires too strong a magnetic field to be produced by human technology, how could the theoretical power required be calculated.Assuming the theoretical power required is correct, it would probably require a very large and powerful magnetic field - something that is not currently possible to produce using current technology.
Kael42
Is it not possible that, given a powerful enough magnetic field, the binding energy of an electron in a stable, neutral atom could be overcome from the tearing of the negatively charged electrons in one direction, and of the positively charged nucleus in the other?

I have searched online, and there doesn't seem to be a mention to this anywhere...

If this were to be true, I imagine that it would have been used already to form otherwise unobtainable negative ions, and make brand new compounds. Such a revolution has obviously not happened, so what is the problem with my logic?

If the problem is that it requires too strong a magnetic field to be produced by human technology, how could the theoretical power required be calculated.

Cheers, Kael.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kael42 said:
so what is the problem with my logic?

Do you understand what a magnetic field is and how charged particles are affected by them?

I was fair sure I did, but it has been a while since I dealt with them, and your question seems to imply I don't. I'll google them to refresh my memory.

Took a look. Nothing seems to contradict the logic I found. Positive and negative particles are pulled in circles in opposing directions. In the case of an atom, It would simply be a fight between the pull of the field and and the binding energy of the electrons... wouldn't it?

No. Electric fields pull electrons and nucleii apart, and you can field-ionize atoms this way with sufficiently strong electric fields. What this has to do with "otherwise unobtainable negative ions", I do not have the slightest clue, but magnetic fields are not electric fields - they can change atomic structure and affect emission and absorption spectra, but they do not by themselves ionize atoms.

I'm a bit late here, but I think an enormously strong magnetic field could indeed ionize some atoms. The problem is that as far as I know the ones we obtain in the lab (see there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders_of_magnitude_(magnetic_field )) are too small or they seem to blow up material.
I think we can use the formula [itex]\Delta E =m_l \mu _B B[/itex] (although I am not 100% sure, maybe this formula instead : [itex]\Delta E =(m_l+2m_s) \mu _B B[/itex]. Can someone tell me which one to use for a huge magnetic field?). For example we can take [itex]m_l=1[/itex].
In any case I suggest you to read about the Paschen-Back effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember watching this episode about the manhatten project where they used magnets in isotope separation to help purify uranium.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotope_separation

This required an large amount of energy. I think its safe to say your system would require quite a bit more.

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could expound on this question, even though it's old, I wanted to add into the question here on whether a magnetic field could be strong enough to propel the atoms into collision with some ferromagnetic element such as Iron.

1. What is ionisation by a magnetic field?

Ionisation by a magnetic field is a process in which a magnetic field is used to strip electrons from atoms or molecules, creating ions. This can occur naturally in space, or it can be artificially induced in a laboratory setting.

2. How does ionisation by a magnetic field work?

Ionisation by a magnetic field works by applying a strong magnetic field to a substance, causing the electrons in the atoms or molecules to move in a circular motion. As they move, the electrons collide with each other and with the atoms or molecules, causing some electrons to be stripped away and creating ions.

3. What are the applications of ionisation by a magnetic field?

Ionisation by a magnetic field has various applications in different fields. In astrophysics, it is used to study the ionisation of particles in space. In plasma physics, it is used to create ionized gases for fusion reactions. In mass spectrometry, it is used to identify and analyze the ions produced. It is also used in particle accelerators and ion implantation techniques in semiconductor manufacturing.

4. What factors affect the ionisation by a magnetic field?

The strength and direction of the magnetic field, as well as the properties of the substance being ionized, can affect ionisation by a magnetic field. The strength of the magnetic field determines the speed and trajectory of the electrons, while the properties of the substance, such as its density and composition, can affect the likelihood of ionisation occurring.

5. Can ionisation by a magnetic field be controlled?

Yes, ionisation by a magnetic field can be controlled by adjusting the strength and direction of the magnetic field, as well as the properties of the substance being ionized. By manipulating these factors, scientists can control the rate and extent of ionisation, making it a useful tool in various applications.