Masters in Power Electronics/Electric Machinery

In summary, the speaker is currently working in a cubicle and is interested in pursuing a more hands-on job in power electronics/electric machinery. They are considering getting a masters degree from UW Madison and are seeking advice from someone familiar with the industry. They are curious about the growth and potential for entrepreneurship in this field. The speaker has a BSEE and is open to working for a utility or consulting firm, rather than being limited to large companies like GE and Siemens. They also mention the importance of understanding controls in drive systems and suggest that there are many control engineering firms looking for someone with this skill set. The speaker shares that they have a degree in EE and a PE in Control Engineering.
2muchHW
I've been working in a cubicle farm for the last year and a half, and think that I might die of boredom soon. I'm looking for something that allows a bit of hands on work, and that has more depth than drafting and component selection.

I'm thinking that getting a masters degree might help me land a more interesting job, and have been looking at the online power electronics/electric machinery degree at UW Madison. So if there is anybody here familiar with the industry, these questions are for you.

Has there been decent growth in this field? Motors and drives have been around for a long time, and I do not want to be stuck in an industry where innovation is slow.

Also, are there opportunities for an entrepreneur with this skill set? I would like to keep the option open to work for myself someday, but am concerned that in this industry I would be up against the likes of GE and Siemens and have no chance.

Also I have a BSEE if anyone is wondering where I am coming from.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hell yeah! Industry needs people who understand drives. The market is anything but static. And no, you don't have to work for GE or Siemens. You could also work for a utility or for a consulting firm.

The problem is that the field people often do not understand the full ramifications of the controls they have on a drive system. This becomes a big deal as the drives get larger and work on higher voltages (such as 4160). If you think you'd enjoy this, there are many control engineering firms who would love to hire you.

My degree, by the way, is also EE. My PE, however, is in Control Engineering. That ought to tell you where I've been and where my biases lie...

1. What is the difference between Power Electronics and Electric Machinery?

Power Electronics deals with the conversion and control of electrical energy, while Electric Machinery is concerned with the design, operation, and maintenance of electric motors, generators, and transformers.

2. What career opportunities are available with a Masters in Power Electronics/Electric Machinery?

Graduates with a Masters in Power Electronics/Electric Machinery can work in a variety of industries such as renewable energy, electric vehicle design, power systems, telecommunications, and manufacturing. Job titles may include power electronics engineer, electrical design engineer, or project manager.

3. Is a background in electrical engineering necessary for this degree?

While a background in electrical engineering is helpful, it is not always a requirement for a Masters in Power Electronics/Electric Machinery. Many programs offer prerequisite courses for students from different engineering backgrounds to ensure they have the necessary knowledge for the program.

4. What skills will I gain from this degree?

Students in this program will gain a strong understanding of power electronics and electric machinery principles, as well as skills in design, analysis, and problem-solving. They will also develop hands-on experience with industry-standard software and equipment.

5. Are there any research opportunities available in this field?

Yes, many universities offer research opportunities for graduate students in the field of Power Electronics/Electric Machinery. These projects may focus on topics such as renewable energy integration, power system optimization, or electric motor design. Additionally, students may have the opportunity to work on research projects with industry partners.