Matrix equation, solving for x(t)

• Thread starter exidez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of equation (I.25) from (I.24) on pages 3 and 4 of the given textbook. The derived equation has e^{-\textbf{A}t} instead of e^{\textbf{A}t}, which is explained as a typo in equation (I.25). The correct version can be obtained by multiplying equation (I.24) by e^{At} without the minus sign.
exidez
this comes strait from a textbook:
http://higheredbcs.wiley.com/legacy/college/nise/0471794759/appendices/app_i.pdf
I am looking at how they obtained (I.24) from (I.25) on page 3 and 4.

Firstly we have:

[itex]e^{-\textbf{A}t}x(t)-x(0)=\int{e^{-\textbf{A}t}\textbf{Bu}(\tau)d\tau}[/itex]

Then this is derived to:

[itex]x(t)=e^{-\textbf{A}t}x(0)+\int{e^{-\textbf{A}(t-\tau)}\textbf{Bu}(\tau)d\tau}[/itex]

my question is why does the derived equation have [itex]e^{-\textbf{A}t}[/itex]. I thought it would have been [itex]e^{\textbf{A}t}[/itex] instead. Can someone explain this too me. The text didnt help me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think there are typos in the first line of equation 25. Some of the minus signs shouldn't be there.

The statement "where [itex]\Phi(t) = e^{At}[/itex] by defintion" and the equation involving [itex]\Phi[/itex] are correct.

Just take equation 24 and multiply all the term by [itex]e^{At}[/itex] (note, no minus sign!) to get the correct version.

1. What is a matrix equation?

A matrix equation is an equation in which a matrix is set equal to another matrix or a vector. It is often used to represent a system of linear equations in a compact form.

2. How do you solve a matrix equation for x(t)?

To solve a matrix equation for x(t), you need to use matrix operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to manipulate the equation until x(t) is isolated on one side. Then, you can use inverse operations to solve for x(t).

3. Can a matrix equation have more than one solution for x(t)?

Yes, a matrix equation can have more than one solution for x(t). This is because matrix equations can represent systems of equations, which can have infinite solutions or no solutions at all depending on the values of the coefficients.

4. What is the role of matrices in solving for x(t)?

Matrices play a crucial role in solving for x(t) in a matrix equation. They allow us to represent and manipulate complex systems of equations in a concise and efficient manner. Matrices also have specific properties and operations that make solving for x(t) possible.

5. Are there any special methods for solving matrix equations?

Yes, there are special methods for solving matrix equations, such as Gaussian elimination, LU decomposition, and matrix inversion. These methods involve using specific algorithms and techniques to manipulate the matrices and solve for x(t) efficiently.