A Room of Infinite Reflection: How Bright Will It Get?

In summary, if you are in a room with perfect reflectors on the walls, floor, and ceiling, and a light bulb in the middle, the room will not get any brighter. The light will be constantly reflected and the only thing that will absorb it and convert it to heat is the bulb. The room will eventually get very hot, but the final illumination will be zero as the bulb will eventually explode and the remaining light will be absorbed by the glass pieces. The room will be filled with darkness and the temperature will continue to increase.
vikasj007
What if you are in a room and the walls, floor and ceiling are all perfect reflectors, and there's a light on in the middle of the room. How bright will it get in there?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe it won't get any brighter, but *you* will eventually get pretty warm. You're the only thing in the room that will absorb the light and convert it to heat.

DaveC426913 said:
I believe it won't get any brighter, but *you* will eventually get pretty warm. You're the only thing in the room that will absorb the light and convert it to heat.

Sounds like standing on the inside of an Easy Bake Oven, doesn't it?

i think i had made a mistake while posting the question.

the corrected form of thie question is as follows-

there is a room in which all the walls and roof and floor are perfect reflectors, and a source of light , a bulb, is placed inside the room which is glowing constantly, what will be the final lumination of the room.

i am also going to change the question in the first post, so do note the change.

I don't know about light, but it will get pretty hot in there. Ever put tin foil over a lightbulb? (warning do not actually put tinfoil over a lightbulb unless you are prepared to risk blowing the socket and possibly starting a fire)

Answer to original:
They would be just as bright as the bulb emmitting the light.

Here's a question, what color will the mirrors be?

Answer:
They would be the color of the light emitting, white.

Last edited:
actally, the final illumination of the room would be, zero. the room will be filled with darkness.

as the light bulb emits light, it is completely reflected by the walls and the floor, the only thing which will absorb the light is the bulb. it will get very very hot and eventually explode. after that no more light will enter the room, and the exsisting light in the room will gradually be absorbed by the glass pieces which in turn will release it s heat energy.

so the temp. of the room wil increase, but it will be filled with complete darkness.

1. What is "A Room of Infinite Reflection: How Bright Will It Get?"

"A Room of Infinite Reflection: How Bright Will It Get?" is a thought experiment that explores the concept of infinite reflections and the potential for unlimited brightness within a confined space.

2. How does the experiment work?

The experiment involves placing a light source in a room with mirrored walls, creating an infinite number of reflections. Each reflection becomes brighter as the light bounces between the mirrors, theoretically reaching infinite brightness.

3. Is it possible for a room to reach infinite brightness?

No, it is not possible for a room to reach infinite brightness in reality. The experiment is a theoretical concept that helps us understand the properties of light and the concept of infinity.

4. What can we learn from this thought experiment?

This thought experiment can help us understand the nature of light and the concept of infinity. It also raises questions about the limitations of our understanding of the physical world and the boundaries of scientific knowledge.

5. Are there any real-world applications for this experiment?

The concept of infinite reflections has been used to create optical illusions and for artistic purposes. It also has implications in the field of optics and can help us understand the behavior of light in confined spaces.