So 2f(x) differ from f(2x)

So 2f(x) differ from f(2x)In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between y=2f(x) and y=f(2x) in terms of input and output. The speaker is struggling with understanding the concept and suggests trying examples to clarify the difference.
Jkohn
Hey all..so Ill go ahead and say that I recently discovered passion for math..I didnt really learn too much in high school

when graphin y=-f(x)
-how would I input on ti83?

how do y=2f(x) differ from y=f(2x)
-when it comes to input and output..how would the outputs differ? I am basically lost in the "how to" for the output

ty!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
how do y=2f(x) differ from y=f(2x)

Why not trying with an example ?

case f(x) = x^3 (cubic function)

try x=5 :
2f(x) = 2 (5^3) = 2(125) = 250
f(2x) = f(10) = 10^3 =1000
So 2f(x) differ from f(2x)

or try x=1 :
2f(x) = 2 (1^3) = 2
f(2x) = 2^3 = 8

1. What are functions and properties?

Functions and properties are two fundamental concepts in mathematics and computer science. A function is a rule that assigns a unique output value to each input value, while a property is a characteristic or attribute of an object or system.

2. What is the difference between a function and a property?

The main difference between a function and a property is that a function is a process that produces an output value, while a property is a characteristic that describes an object or system. Additionally, a function can have multiple input and output values, while a property is typically associated with a single value.

3. How are functions and properties used in science?

In science, functions and properties are used to describe and analyze systems and phenomena. Functions can be used to model relationships between variables, while properties can be measured or observed to characterize the behavior or characteristics of a system.

4. Can a function have more than one property?

Yes, a function can have multiple properties. For example, a quadratic function has properties such as its vertex, intercepts, and axis of symmetry, among others.

5. How are functions and properties related in mathematics?

In mathematics, the properties of a function can provide important information about its behavior and characteristics. For example, the continuity property can determine if a function is smooth or has any breaks, while the differentiability property can determine if a function has a well-defined slope at a given point.