Bending Stress Help: Find Resources Here

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of bending stress and the difficulty in understanding it. The professor has shown an animation in class but has refused to share the link for it. The conversation ends with a request for suggestions on where to find more resources on the topic.
kougou
Hello guys.

I need help to understand the calulation of bending stress. This topic is discussed in our lecture, and the prof shows us an animation for it. However, this topic is not on the textbook and the prof refuse to give us the link for the animation. I am wondering, do any of you know where could I find a good place to study for this topic. The current discussion is only limited to the moment of inertia, compression and tension stress, of the I, and T shape beams made up of rectangular cross -section.

Thank you all in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try looking through a few books or online.

1. What is bending stress and why is it important?

Bending stress is a type of stress that occurs when a material is subjected to forces that cause it to bend or deform. It is important because it can lead to structural failure and can affect the durability and safety of a structure or object.

2. How is bending stress calculated?

Bending stress is calculated using the formula σ = Mc/I, where σ is the bending stress, M is the bending moment, c is the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost fiber, and I is the moment of inertia of the cross-sectional area.

3. What are some common materials that are susceptible to bending stress?

Common materials that are susceptible to bending stress include wood, steel, aluminum, and plastic. However, the amount of bending stress these materials can withstand depends on their composition, shape, and size.

4. How can I prevent bending stress in my design or structure?

To prevent bending stress, it is important to consider the material properties, loading conditions, and design factors such as shape, size, and support. Adding reinforcements, using stronger materials, or changing the design can help prevent bending stress.

5. Are there any resources available to help me learn more about bending stress?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you learn more about bending stress. Some helpful resources include textbooks, online articles and tutorials, and engineering handbooks. You can also consult with experts in the field or attend workshops or seminars on the topic.