Calculate Force/Pressure of Inflating Balloon

• Thread starter alexbib
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balloon
In summary, the force exerted by the balloon on the gas is proportional to the area it's been stretched by.
alexbib
let's say a rubber balloon is not streched (but almost) when its volume is 1L. what force (or pressure) does the balloon exert on a gas inside it when its volume is stretched by xL? I'm measuring this experimentally, but I'd like to know a theoretical way of calculating it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The ideal gas law states that:
[tex]PV=nRT[/tex]
where [itex]n[/itex] is amount of gas in moles, [itex]T[/itex] is the kelvin temperature, and [itex]R[/itex] is the universal gas constant. Define initial pressure as [itex]P_{1}[/itex], and establish a relationship between volume and pressure when amount of gas and temperature are held constant.

Note: think about how to control these variables effectively when you conduct the experiment for best results.

yes, that is not what I was asking. Maybe I misexpressed myself. Let me reformulate. P-inside=P-outside + F-balloon/area. I'm looking to predict what the force exerted by the balloon on the gas will be when the fabric is stretched by a certain amount. I know how to measure it experimentally (as you said, we can use the gas law to do this), but I'm looking for a theoretical answer: is the force exerted by the fabric proportional to the area it's been stretched by?

come on, don't tell me nobody knows

I could have a go using Hooke's law which states that the force the rubber exerts is proportinal to the elongation: [itex]F=C \Delta x[/itex]. This constant C you can ofcourse easily measure, and at the same time check if your baloon indeed obeys Hooke's law!

Let's also make the assumption the balloon is approximately spherical with a radius [itex]r[/itex] when it is unstretched. and r' if you inflate it a little bit. Now if you draw a small circle on it with an angle [itex]\delta \theta[/itex] from the center of the balloon to the side of the circle the circumference is [itex]r \delta \theta[/itex]. The elongation is in this case the extension of the circumference:

[tex]\Delta x = 2 \pi (r'-r)[/tex]

And the force is thus:

[itex]F=C 2 \pi (r'-r)[/itex]

If you would like to calculate the pressure you only take the part of this force in the radial direction. Wich amounts to multipying by [itex]\delta \theta[/itex]. And ofcourse pressure is the force per unit area and you have to divide by [itex]\pi (r \delta \theta)^2[/itex]:

[tex]p(r')=2C\frac{r'-r}{r^2}[/tex]

The tension versus stretch isn't linear for rubber, I don't have the formula for this, but I have a link to a site concerning the stretch for typical latex rubber used to launch radio control gliders:

http://www.hollyday.com/rich/hd/sailplanes/rubberdata.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the formula for calculating the force/pressure of an inflating balloon?

The formula for calculating the force/pressure of an inflating balloon is F = P x A, where F is the force in Newtons, P is the pressure in Pascals, and A is the area of the balloon's surface in square meters.

How does the size of the balloon affect the force/pressure?

The size of the balloon directly affects the force/pressure. As the size of the balloon increases, the surface area also increases, resulting in a larger force/pressure. This is due to the fact that the pressure is distributed over a larger area, resulting in a lower force per unit area.

What factors can affect the force/pressure of an inflating balloon?

The force/pressure of an inflating balloon is affected by several factors, including the size of the balloon, the volume of air being pumped into the balloon, the material and thickness of the balloon, and the air temperature. These factors can all impact the amount of force/pressure being exerted on the balloon's surface.

What units are used to measure force/pressure of an inflating balloon?

The force/pressure of an inflating balloon is typically measured in Newtons (N) or Pascals (Pa). However, some may also use pounds per square inch (psi) or atmospheres (atm).

How does the surface area of the balloon change as it inflates?

As the balloon inflates, the surface area increases due to the stretching of the balloon material. This increase in surface area results in a larger force/pressure being exerted on the balloon's surface.