Deriving Transition Amplitude: Hamiltonian & $\psi_0 \to \psi_1$

In summary, the probability of transition from state |\psi_0\rangle to the state |\psi_1\rangle in quantum mechanics is given by the expression \langle \psi_1|H|\psi_0\rangle, where H is the Hamiltonian. This is a basic concept in quantum mechanics and is typically covered in undergraduate courses. The use of the Hamiltonian operator in this formula is equivalent to the use of a unitary time evolution operator, as shown in the expression |\psi\rangle = e^{-i\frac{H}{\hbar}t}|\psi(0)\rangle. This may be discussed in more detail in books like Schiff's.
Identity
I'm reading through Peskin&Schroeder, and they mention that the probability of transition from a state [itex]|\psi_0\rangle[/itex] to a state [itex]|\psi_1\rangle[/itex] is given by:
[tex]\langle \psi_1|H|\psi_0\rangle[/tex]
where [itex]H[/itex] is the Hamiltonian. Can someone please explain how this formula is derived? Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
This is very basic QM.

I'm afraid that if this isn't immediately obvious to you, Peskin and Schroeder is too advanced for you. Have you taken undergrad QM? What book did you use?

Well, I've read most of Griffiths, but I think it may have been something I overlooked. Can you tell me? Thx

It's not something you overlook. This is one of the most basic aspects of quantum mechanics. I don't have Griffiths nearby, but Schiff devotes about 150 pages to this. If this isn't second nature to you, you aren't ready for Peskin & Schroeder. You'd be better served to go back to Griffiths and understand it before trying to move on.

Maybe this is an equivalent formulation, but I've usually seen a unitary time evolution operator U which is an exponential of the Hamiltonian operator, not the Hamiltonian operator itself, being used in expressing the amplitude.

lugita15 said:
Maybe this is an equivalent formulation, but I've usually seen a unitary time evolution operator U which is an exponential of the Hamiltonian operator, not the Hamiltonian operator itself, being used in expressing the amplitude.

Yes, I've seen it in this form
[tex]|\psi\rangle = e^{-i\frac{H}{\hbar}t}|\psi(0)\rangle[/tex]

I may look at Schiff to see if it is an equivalent formulation

1. What is the Hamiltonian in the context of deriving transition amplitude?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator in quantum mechanics that describes the total energy of a system. In the context of deriving transition amplitude, it represents the energy of the system before and after a transition occurs.

2. How is the Hamiltonian used to calculate transition amplitude?

The Hamiltonian is used to calculate transition amplitude by acting on the initial state, $\psi_0$, and the final state, $\psi_1$, with the operator. This results in a complex number known as the transition amplitude, which represents the probability amplitude for the transition to occur.

3. What is the significance of $\psi_0 \to \psi_1$ in this context?

The notation $\psi_0 \to \psi_1$ represents the transition from the initial state, $\psi_0$, to the final state, $\psi_1$. It is used in the context of deriving transition amplitude to show the change in state that occurs during a transition.

4. What are some applications of deriving transition amplitude?

Deriving transition amplitude has many applications in quantum mechanics, such as calculating the probability of an electron transitioning between energy levels in an atom or the probability of a particle undergoing a specific type of decay. It is also used in quantum computing and quantum information processing.

5. What is the relationship between transition amplitude and transition probability?

Transition amplitude and transition probability are closely related. The transition amplitude is a complex number that represents the probability amplitude for a transition to occur, while the transition probability is the absolute square of the transition amplitude, giving the actual probability of the transition occurring. In other words, the transition amplitude provides the mathematical framework for calculating the transition probability.