Do we not even exist in some FoR?

• Thread starter goodabouthood
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary: This is not what I am thinking. I am thinking that there could be an event in one FoR which has not yet happened in another FoR. For example, if I were to imagine a hypothetical person who exists in a FoR in which I have not yet been born, then that person would not exist in a FoR in which I have been born.
goodabouthood
What I mean is are there things traveling so fast in outer space that we don't exist in their FoR?

Or we haven't even been born yet in their FoR?

Physics news on Phys.org
Beats me! And what about rocket man, orbiting a huge black hole, we get 50,000 years older while he ages a day? Assuming he can escape the vicinity of the black hole and return to "normal" time, this suggests that the future is pre-determined.

This kinda stuff hurts my head...

What do you mean by "yet"?

We do exist in all frames of reference.

If there's an event (like us being born) in one frame, it occurs in all frames of reference.

It's just that its coordinates (position, and time) with respect to some other event vary from frame to frame. So if our birth and some other event are separated by a spacelike interval - there are frames in which we are born before, during, and after the occurence of this other event.

A question whether there is a frame in which we haven't been born yet - I think is irrelevant. It sounds like "is there a frame in which now (at this instant of time) we don't exist yet" - but there's no such thing as universal time.

goodabouthood said:
What I mean is are there things traveling so fast in outer space that we don't exist in their FoR?

This is a very strange and vague question, and at this point, I do not see it as being a physics question, much less a Relativity-related question. I'll give it a bit more time, but if this has very little physics content, then this topic will be closed.

Zz.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=240147

Since that thread discussed physics and philosophy, let me recommend the OP in that thread for the formulation of the problem, and DaleSpam's post #9 (I'm not sure it's correct, but I do so because he's usually accurate, and I'm too lazy to think).

Last edited:
goodabouthood said:

No. Nothing locally is moving with respect to us at faster than the speed of light. Any object, moving at any speed in our vicinity will perceive us as moving arbitrarily slow, approaching zero.

If you take the Earth as an event, is there some way that in someones FOR the Earth is an event which has yet to happen?

I just thought that certain events happen at certain times depending on what FOR you refer to?

So is there a frame of reference where the Earth or even our Solar system hasn't been formed yet?

As viewed from a point 6 billion light years away, yes, the solar system is still a condensing ball of dust and gas.

DaveC426913 said:
As viewed from a point 6 billion light years away, yes, the solar system is still a condensing ball of dust and gas.

I was under the impression that the relativity of simultaneity had more to do with an object moving than distance.

Wouldn't the point that is 6 billion light years away still agree on the time of the Earth happening if he is moving in uniform motion to the Earth?

I'm not really sure what I meant to say with my original post.

I just have this idea in my head that depending on the FOR you are in things happen at different times than other FOR. I just wonder if something is traveling so fast out there that the formation of our planet has not happened in their FOR.

The Earth is not an event. You being born on the Earth is an event.

The quick answer to your question is "yes".

See the link in post #5, especially DaleSpam's https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1765715&postcount=9 explanation as to why this is not a true paradox, only an apparent paradox like the twin paradox.

My birth may have not happened in some FOR correct?

That means anything from that moment on hasn't happened either (in that FOR), correct?

goodabouthood said:
My birth may have not happened in some FOR correct?

That means anything from that moment on hasn't happened either (in that FOR), correct?

Yes.

Please go back and reread Loro's response to you in post #3. He said every event occurs in every frame. Even in your rest frame, if you set the time coordinate to a value prior to your birth, then you have not yet been born. The same thing is true in every other frame. If you set the time coordinate before the event of your birth, then you have not yet been born.

I think what may be confusing you is that you are thinking that because there is a reality to "now" in your FoR, then there must be a corresponding "now" in all other FoR's and in some of those you have not yet been born. But as far as the FoR is concerned, all times and all locations are on an equal footing--they don't correspond to any particular observer's experience as they encompass all observers in all states of motion from one end of the horizon to the other and in all directions from eternity past to eternity future.

And don't be confused by the term "event". It isn't restricted to an actual "happening" at a particular place and time. It is simply any arbitrary collection of the four coordinates making up a particular location at a particular time, even if nothing exists at that location, or if time never occurred at that location, either in the past or in the future (for example 100 billion years ago or 100 billion years in the future). But we can still use the Lorentz Transform to see what the coordinates for an event a trillion light years away and occurring a trillion years in the future would be in a frame that was moving at .999999c away from the first frame.

I was my understanding that there are galaxies on the "other side" of the universe moving away from us faster than light. Therefor, our light cones will never intersect.

I suppose the simple answer to the OP is that the term "exists" is global, and is not relative to any frame or observer. Hence a simple double negative answer (we don't not exist to anyone).

But there are several interesting elementary issues.

As has been said, one point in space-time may be either within or outside another point's light cone. If inside, a signal from the the first point can reach the second point. This condition can be true either one way, the other way or neither way, but not both ways.

But even if an object is not visible from another object, it can have been influenced by it in the past. And even if an object cannot be seen by another object, it may potentially affect it in the future. This is a good reason why it is unreasonable to restrict the concept existence to what can be observed.

Relevant to the original question is that the concepts of being "potentially visible" and "potential influence" do not depend on speed at all, only location in space-time.

1. Do we not even exist in some FoR?

The concept of a Frame of Reference (FoR) is a fundamental principle in physics that refers to the perspective from which an observer perceives and measures an event. It is possible to argue that we do not exist in some FoR because our existence is dependent on our perception and interpretation of events based on our chosen FoR. However, it is also important to note that our existence as conscious beings is not solely dependent on our perception and is a complex combination of biological, psychological, and social factors.

2. What is a Frame of Reference?

A Frame of Reference is a theoretical construct used in physics to describe the perspective of an observer in relation to an event. It is used to measure quantities such as time, distance, and velocity and is essential for understanding the laws of physics.

3. Can we exist in multiple Frames of Reference simultaneously?

It is not possible for us to exist in multiple Frames of Reference simultaneously. Our perception and understanding of events are limited to the FoR from which we are observing. However, it is possible for objects or events to exist in multiple Frames of Reference at the same time.

4. How does the theory of relativity affect our existence in a FoR?

The theory of relativity, specifically the theory of special relativity, states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that our existence in a FoR is relative and can be perceived differently by different observers. Additionally, the theory of general relativity suggests that gravity can also affect our perception of time and space within a FoR.

5. Are there any practical implications of existing in different Frames of Reference?

There are practical implications of existing in different Frames of Reference, particularly in the field of physics. The concept of relativity and different FoRs has led to the development of technologies such as GPS, which requires precise timing and accounting for the differences in time between different FoRs. Additionally, understanding different FoRs is crucial in areas such as astronomy and space travel.