Why Does Stationary Observer See Light Clock Traverse Longer Distance?

In summary, the stationary observer sees the spaceship light clock traverse a longer distance because of the concept of relativity. This can be understood by imagining the motion from different frames of reference. However, in reality, there is no distinct "longer" path as it is all relative to the observer's perspective.
goodabouthood
Why does the stationary observer see the spaceship light clock traverse a longer distance?

How can you prove this? I don't understand why he sees the light take a longer path.

I understand it because you tell me this is so but I don't understand why it actually happens.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you understand how a ball boncing between the floor and the ceiling would appear to the stationary observer to traverse a longer path than it would to an observer on the spaceship?

I can but that still doesn't really answer the question.

I can actually imagine it both ways. I can imagine looking at the moving observer and seeing his ball bounce directly up and down. I can also imagine it taking the longer path.

Would a ball actually take a longer path in reality?

I want to know why light takes a longer path.

Yes, the way you can imagine it both ways are two different ways you can describe the motion of the ball and the light which would be identical to two different Frames of Reference.

goodabouthood said:
Would a ball actually take a longer path in reality?
there is no 'reality' only 'relativity'

1. Why does a stationary observer see a light clock traverse a longer distance?

The distance observed by a stationary observer appears longer due to the phenomenon of time dilation, which is a consequence of Einstein's theory of special relativity. According to this theory, time is relative and can be affected by the relative speed of an observer.

2. How does time dilation affect the distance observed by a stationary observer?

Time dilation refers to the slowing down of time for an object or observer that is moving at a high speed relative to another object or observer. This means that the stationary observer perceives time to be passing slower for the moving object, resulting in the observed distance appearing longer.

3. What is the significance of this phenomenon for understanding the nature of time?

The concept of time dilation challenges our traditional understanding of time as a fixed and universal concept. It suggests that time is relative and can be influenced by factors such as speed and gravity. This has significant implications for our understanding of the fabric of the universe and the nature of reality.

4. Can this phenomenon be observed in everyday life?

While the effects of time dilation may not be noticeable in everyday situations, it is a well-established phenomenon in the field of physics. It has been observed and measured in experiments using atomic clocks and high-speed particles.

5. How does the speed of light play a role in this phenomenon?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe and plays a crucial role in the phenomenon of time dilation. The theory of special relativity states that the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This leads to the observed effects of time dilation, as the speed of light is used to calculate the distance and time measurements of moving objects.