Battery to battery straight wire of current?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for creating a Biot-Savart Law for a finite, straight wire of current in practice. The speaker questions whether hooking up two 9 V batteries in a circuit would result in a steady current, and if testing the space around it with a magnetometer would produce expected magnetic field intensities. The main concern is the accumulation of charge in the batteries, which would prevent a steady current flow. The speaker acknowledges the question's practical nature and apologizes if it is in the wrong forum.
DocZaius
While I was looking at an example of the Biot-Savart Law for a finite, straight wire of current, I started considering whether one can easily create one in practice.

If I hooked up the positive terminal of a 9 V battery by a resistance to the negative terminal of another 9 V battery, would there be a steady current? If so, if I then tested the space around it with a magnetometer, would I roughly get the magnetic field intensities around the wire that I'd expect from the math?

The main issue I see with a battery to battery hookup would be the fast accumulation of charge in one of the batteries - which isn't an issue for a circuit current from a single battery (the battery itself remains neutral in that case).

I understand this question is more practical than theoretical, and I apologize if it's asked in the wrong forum.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yor system wouldn't work because it isn't a closed circuit. Charges will pile up at the end of both batteries (in a short time) and there will not be a steady charge flow (current).

1. What is a battery to battery straight wire of current?

A battery to battery straight wire of current is a direct connection between two batteries, allowing electrical current to flow from one battery to the other. This is often used in situations where one battery needs to be charged or powered by another battery.

2. How does a battery to battery straight wire of current work?

The wire acts as a conductor, allowing electrons to flow from the negative terminal of one battery to the positive terminal of the other battery. This creates a circuit, enabling the transfer of electrical energy from one battery to the other.

3. Can any type of battery be connected using a straight wire?

No, it is important to make sure that the two batteries being connected have the same voltage and are compatible with each other. Connecting incompatible batteries can cause damage to the batteries or create a safety hazard.

4. What are the benefits of using a battery to battery straight wire of current?

Using a straight wire connection allows for a quick and efficient transfer of electrical energy between batteries. It can also be a useful backup method for charging batteries in emergency situations.

5. Are there any risks associated with using a battery to battery straight wire of current?

Yes, there is a risk of electric shock if the wire is not handled properly. It is important to make sure that the connection is secure and the wire is not damaged. It is also important to follow proper safety precautions and instructions when connecting batteries.