Finding a Function from Experimental Data

• Thread starter albert12345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experimental
In summary, I've been given a set of data from an experiment and I don't know what to do next because I've tried a few things and I'm lost. I think it may be a power function, but I don't know how to get the starting point or values for a and n. I will try plotting the result and see if I get a straight line. Thanks for your help!
albert12345
I've been given a set of data from an experiment:

x= 0, 1, 2, 5, 7, 10
Y=(3), (5), (8,7), (25,4) (40), (66,2)

My mission is to come up with a function that i can use, based on these values I've been given. I've tride to LN the values so I get a straight line (Y=kx +m), but I don't know what the next step is. I am stuck. Really need your help!

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
LN?
Natural Log?

What do you mean when you say y=(8,7)?
Is there two different values for y?
If there is then you're not going to get a function that gives you those values back..

genericusrnme said:
LN?
Natural Log?

What do you mean when you say y=(8,7)?
Is there two different values for y?
If there is then you're not going to get a function that gives you those values back..

When x is 2 then y= 8,7
when x is 5 then y= 25,4

Yes, natural log. You need to come up with a function that works with the values I got. I think it's a power function.

If you suspect that it is a power function then the starting point is to write a power equation relating y and x. What would you write?

technician said:
If you suspect that it is a power function then the starting point is to write a power equation relating y and x. What would you write?

I think it shoul look like this: Y = C +ax^n
The problem is to get the values a and n.
C is given since y = 3 when x =0 --> C=3.

I don't know what to do next, I've tried a few things but now I'm just lost :S

If you have y=3 when x=0 I would rewrite the equation as (y-3) = ax^n
Then you can take Ln(y-3) and Ln(x) to plot a graph.
If you get a straight line then the gradient =n and the intercept = Ln(a)
You cannot take Ln(y) and Ln (C + ax^n)
Hope this helps.
I will have a go with your numbers and see what I get !

I got a pretty good straight line and my calculated gradient an intercept reproduced the table of values to better than 10%
I will be interested to see what you get.

technician said:
If you have y=3 when x=0 I would rewrite the equation as (y-3) = ax^n
Then you can take Ln(y-3) and Ln(x) to plot a graph.
If you get a straight line then the gradient =n and the intercept = Ln(a)
You cannot take Ln(y) and Ln (C + ax^n)
Hope this helps.
I will have a go with your numbers and see what I get !

I don't really understand what you will do from here:Then you can take Ln(y-3) and Ln(x) to plot a graph.

What function did you come up with?

Are you OK with the step
Y = 3 + ax^n ? You cannot take Ln(3 + ax^n) so I rearranged the expression to be
Y-3 = ax^n and this is the power law equatio that can be analyzed
Now take logs...Ln(y-3) = Ln(a) + nLn(x)
This equation is in the form of a straight line graph ( y = mx + C)
So plot Ln( y-3) against Ln(x) and you should get a straight line.
The slope of the line is n and where the line cuts the Ln( y-3) axis is Ln(a)
You need to make another table to get the values ( y-3), Ln(y-3) and Ln(x)
Hope this helps!

I tried it for x =7, y=40.

Ln (40-3) = ln (a) + n ln (7)
3,6109 = ln (a) + n * 1,94

The problem now is that I have two variables? I don't know how to figure them out. You told me to plot the result but It's difficult with two variables. Mabye I am just stupid?

No one who can help me? :cry:

I will write my working out for you and send it...give me about 10mins...dont despair

technician said:
I will write my working out for you and send it...give me about 10mins...dont despair

Thanks a lot! :smile:

here you go, not brilliant copy but I hope you can see what I did

Attachments

• equation.jpg
    equation.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 372
Thank you. That's similar to what I did the first time I tried but I guess I got a bit confused :) I managed to get a function that is very precise now :D Thank you for your valuable help! It feels great when you finally understand :D

What is experimental methodology?

Experimental methodology is a scientific approach that involves carefully designing and conducting experiments to test hypotheses and gather data. It typically involves manipulating variables and measuring their effects on a dependent variable.

Why is experimental methodology important?

Experimental methodology is important because it allows scientists to systematically test and evaluate theories and hypotheses. It also helps to control for potential confounding factors and provides empirical evidence to support or refute a hypothesis.

What are the key elements of experimental methodology?

The key elements of experimental methodology include selecting a sample or population, identifying and manipulating independent variables, measuring dependent variables, and controlling for confounding factors. It also involves random assignment of participants to different conditions and the use of appropriate statistical analysis to analyze the data.

What are the advantages of experimental methodology?

Experimental methodology has several advantages, including the ability to establish cause-and-effect relationships, control for potential confounding factors, and provide quantitative data that can be analyzed using statistical methods. It also allows for replication of studies and can be used to test multiple hypotheses simultaneously.

What are the limitations of experimental methodology?

Experimental methodology also has some limitations, such as the potential for artificiality in laboratory settings, ethical concerns with manipulating variables on human participants, and the difficulty of generalizing findings to real-world situations. Additionally, some phenomena may not be able to be studied using experimental methods, such as historical events or natural disasters.