Derivation of Heat Conduction in Spherical Co-Ordinates

In summary, The conversation is about deriving the equation for heat conduction in spherical coordinates and solving it for temperature, subject to certain boundary conditions. The equation for heat flux is derived using Fourier's Law and the gradient in spherical coordinates is considered. The equation is then simplified and rewritten in terms of the Laplacian. Integration is used to find an expression for temperature in terms of r, but there is some uncertainty about whether the final result is correct.
Tsunoyukami
I have two questions. I believe I have solved the first question and would like confirmation of this answer; the second question I'm a little bit lost on so any help there would be greatly appreciated!

I am working on a problem set in which I must derive the equation for heat conduction in spherical co-ordinates. I have completed part a, in which I derived the heat flux equation:

[itex]\frac{dq_{r}}{dr} + \frac{2}{r}q_{r} - \rho H = 0[/itex]

I have used Fourier's Law (to rewrite this equation for teperature), which states

[itex]\textbf{q}[/itex] = -k[itex]\nabla T[/itex], where [itex]\textbf{q}[/itex] is the heat flux and it is a vector (I couldn't find a vector symbol, so it is simply bolded) and [itex]\nabla [/itex] is the gradient.

Using the gradiant for speherical co-ordinates, and considering only changes in the radial direction (so that [itex] \frac{\delta T}{\delta \phi}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\delta T}{\delta \theta}[/itex] are 0) we can write:

[itex]\nabla T = \frac{dT}{dr} \widehat{r}[/itex]

So we can write:

[itex]\textbf{q} = q_{r} = -k \nabla T = -k \frac{dT}{dr} \widehat{r}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dq_{r}}{dr} + \frac{2}{r}q_{r} - \rho H = 0[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d}{dr} ( -k \frac{dT}{dr}) - \frac{2k}{r} \frac{dT}{dr} - \rho H = 0[/itex]

Assuming k is a constant:

[itex]-k \frac{d^{2}T}{dr^{2}} - \frac{2k}{r} \frac{dT}{dr} - \rho H = 0[/itex]

[itex] (\frac{d^{2}T}{dr^{2}} + \frac{2}{r} \frac{dT}{dr}) + \frac{\rho H}{k} = 0[/itex]

So I have written this as an equation for temperature instead of heat flux. Is this correct?

Next I am asked to solve the above equation for T(r) subject to the boundary conditions T(R) = [itex]T_{s}[/itex] (where R is the radius of the planet) and T(0) must be finite.

[itex] (\frac{d^{2}T}{dr^{2}} + \frac{2}{r} \frac{dT}{dr}) + \frac{\rho H}{k} = 0[/itex]

Using a hint that is provided I can write:

[itex] \frac{1}{r^{2}} \frac{d}{dr} (r^{2} \frac{dT}{dr}) = - \frac{\rho H}{k} [/itex]

Now, I'm not too sure how to simplify this. My E&M textbook says that the radial component of the Laplacian in spherical co-ordinates is equal to what I have on the left side of that equation so I could write (because we are assuming, as above that [itex] \frac{\delta T}{\delta \phi}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\delta T}{\delta \theta}[/itex] are 0):

[itex] \nabla^{2}T + \frac{\rho H}{k} = 0 [/itex]

What should I do next? Is there any way for me to simplify this further? Should I have not written it in terms of the Laplacian? How can I solve for an expression T(r)?

Thanks in advance! I appreciate any insight you can give me as to what the next step might be! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
So I've been thinking about this a bit more and I know that this expression must be correct because it agrees with the expression derived in class using Cartesian co-ordinates.

However, I need an expression for T in terms of r and this is where I get stuck.

[itex] \nabla^{2}T + \frac{\rho H}{k} = 0 [/itex]

[itex] \frac{1}{r^{2}} \frac{d}{dr} (r^{2} \frac{dT}{dr}) = - \frac{\rho H}{k} [/itex]

[itex] \frac{d}{dr} (r^{2} \frac{dT}{dr}) = - \frac{\rho Hr^{2}}{k} [/itex]

We can then integrate both sides with respect to r:

[itex] r^{2} \frac{dT}{dr} = - \frac{\rho Hr^{3}}{3k} + c_{1}[/itex]

[itex] \frac{dT}{dr} = - \frac{\rho Hr}{3k} + c_{1}[/itex]

Integrating again we can write:

[itex] T = - \frac{\rho Hr^{2}}{6k} + c_{1}r + c_{2}[/itex]

Is this correct? I'm concerned that I did something incorrect while integrating the first time; I feel like the 6 shouldn't be in the denominator. In Cartesian co-ordinates we have a 2 in the denominator. Where am I going wrong?

I believe there must be a 2 and not a 6 because if r is solely in the y direction (x and z = 0) the equation should reduce to what we found in the Cartesian case.

1. What is the general equation for heat conduction in spherical coordinates?

The general equation for heat conduction in spherical coordinates is given by:
$\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\big(r^2\frac{\partial T}{\partial r}\big)+\frac{1}{r^2\sin\theta}\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}\big(\sin\theta\frac{\partial T}{\partial\theta}\big)+\frac{1}{r^2\sin^2\theta}\frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial\phi^2}=\frac{1}{\alpha}\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}$
where $T$ is the temperature, $r$ is the radial distance, $\theta$ is the polar angle, $\phi$ is the azimuthal angle, and $\alpha$ is the thermal diffusivity.

2. What are the assumptions made in deriving the heat conduction equation in spherical coordinates?

The assumptions made in deriving the heat conduction equation in spherical coordinates are:
1. The system is spherically symmetric.
2. The temperature gradient is small.
3. The material is homogeneous and isotropic.
4. The thermal conductivity is constant.
5. The heat source is steady and uniform.

3. How is the heat conduction equation solved in spherical coordinates?

The heat conduction equation in spherical coordinates can be solved using various analytical and numerical methods, such as separation of variables, finite difference method, and finite element method. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the problem and the desired accuracy of the solution.

4. What is the physical interpretation of the terms in the heat conduction equation in spherical coordinates?

The first term $\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\big(r^2\frac{\partial T}{\partial r}\big)$ represents the radial heat flux, which describes the rate of heat flow in the radial direction. The second term $\frac{1}{r^2\sin\theta}\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}\big(\sin\theta\frac{\partial T}{\partial\theta}\big)$ represents the polar heat flux, which describes the rate of heat flow in the polar direction. The third term $\frac{1}{r^2\sin^2\theta}\frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial\phi^2}$ represents the azimuthal heat flux, which describes the rate of heat flow in the azimuthal direction. The last term $\frac{1}{\alpha}\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}$ represents the time rate of change of temperature, which accounts for the transient behavior of the system.

5. What are the practical applications of the heat conduction equation in spherical coordinates?

The heat conduction equation in spherical coordinates has many practical applications, including:
1. Heat transfer in spherical objects, such as planets, stars, and spherical containers.
2. Thermal analysis of spherical devices, such as heat exchangers, boilers, and catalytic converters.
3. Design and optimization of thermal insulation for spherical structures.
4. Modeling and simulation of thermal processes in spherical geometries, such as crystal growth and sintering.
5. Heat conduction in biological systems, such as spherical cells and tissues.