Need help picking material for shoe sole

• Thread starter davcec8723
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a portable rollable ballerina flat with a thin and flexible sole for outdoor walking. The material options mentioned are polymers, specifically nylon 6,6 coated with rubber, aramid fabric coated with BUNA-S or neoprene rubber, neoprene fabric, TPR rubber, EVA, and cork. Concerns about comfort, protection, and skid-resistance are also mentioned.
davcec8723
Hi,

I am currently working on creating a portable rollable ballerina flat which can be easily transported in a women's purse and utilized as a backup pair of shoes when pain resulting from wearing high heeled shoes occurs. The reason for my inquiry is I am looking for a material to use to create a sole which can be both very thin and flexible while providing protection to the foot while walking outdoors. The material must be low cost as well, as this product is an inexpensive one.

At this link you can find a picture of a rollable ballerina flat, so you have an idea of what I am talking about.
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/439958676/Flat_Rollable_Shoes.jpg

Anybody's help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Dave, welcome to PF :)

I think polymers are the best candidate, they're known to be flexible, strong and cheap. These characteristics vary depending on the polymer itself, there are too many each with its own advantages/disadvantages. Look them up, and I'm definitely going to have a couple of those shoes once they're available. :biggrin:

Hi Gad,

Thanks for the reply :)

I am somewhat of a newbie to materials, so could you help point me in the right direction? I was recommended to try Nylon 6,6 and have it coated in 1/8 inch of rubber, how does that sound? Is nylon the way to go in the polymer group?

I will send you a free pair once they are developed for the insightful help!

Dave

Ok, I have done some research into the topic now, and I have come to the preliminary conclusion that the best option may be using:

Aramid fabric (Kevlar) coated with 1/8" of either BUNA-S or neoprene rubber (used car tires would be nice!). I have some questions, as I said I'm a beginner with this, and would appreciate any help to any of the questions!

1) Which rubber is better for this application BUNA-S or Neoprene? Is 1/8" a good thickness of rubber to protect the foot and provide traction while still easily rolling up?

2) How thick of a aramid fabric do I need to provide protection to the foot from sharp objects from puncturing through? I see it is made anywhere from 0.08mm to 0.4+mm thick. Since this material is used to make bulletproof vests I would imagine a thin piece would provide ample protection, but I could be wrong!

3) Will a rubber coated aramid fabric be able to roll up compactly?

4) Is it normal to find one manufacturer who can both make the fabric and coat it with rubber, or is this usually done by two separate companies?

Thank you very much for any assistance!

You could just buy neoprene fabric.
http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/neoprene-rubber-cloth-inserted.html
http://www.foamorder.com/neoprene.html

The softer the rubber the easier it will be to roll up. You will also feel EVERY tiny stone and surface irregularity.
You might EPDM.

How about a TPR Rubber or EVA?

as an alternative to synthetics, you might also consider cork

Rollable flats with neoprene soles will be very uncomfortable for the wearer on gravel (especially crushed-stone walks). Having worn neoprene diving-suit booties in cold weather when dragging my kayak through the snow to do some white-water boating, I can attest to this. Also, neoprene wears very quickly and has to be coupled with nylon (or some other fabric) inside and out. Nylon fabric is not very skid-resistant and can be a hazard on smooth surfaces. Just stuff to consider.

1. What are the most important factors to consider when choosing material for a shoe sole?

The most important factors to consider are durability, flexibility, and slip-resistance. The material should be able to withstand frequent use and wear, while also providing enough flexibility to allow for comfortable movement. It should also have a good grip to prevent slipping.

2. What are some common materials used for shoe soles?

Some common materials used for shoe soles are rubber, EVA (ethylene-vinyl acetate), PU (polyurethane), and leather. Each material has its own unique properties and benefits, so it's important to consider the specific needs of the shoe before choosing a material.

3. How do I determine the appropriate thickness for a shoe sole?

The appropriate thickness for a shoe sole depends on the type of shoe and its intended use. For example, athletic shoes may require a thicker and more shock-absorbent sole, while dress shoes may have a thinner and more flexible sole. It's best to consult with a shoe designer or a professional in the footwear industry for specific recommendations.

4. Is it better to use natural or synthetic materials for shoe soles?

It ultimately depends on the specific needs and preferences of the shoe. Natural materials like rubber and leather are often more durable and provide better traction, while synthetic materials like EVA and PU can offer more flexibility and lighter weight. It's important to consider the intended use of the shoe and choose the most suitable material.

5. How can I ensure the material I choose is environmentally friendly and sustainable?

When choosing a material for a shoe sole, look for options that are made from renewable or recycled materials. Some examples include natural rubber from sustainably managed forests, recycled rubber, or biodegradable materials like cork or bamboo. Additionally, consider the production process and choose materials that have a lower carbon footprint.