HELP BLOWING FUSES 120/240VAC active monitors

• Thread starter Tenshao1
  • Start date
In summary: The fuse is in the back of the monitor, near the power cord. It's a small, glass-coated metal fuse with T1AL250VPH on it.
Tenshao1
HELP BLOWING FUSES! 120/240VAC active monitors

I have just brought some active studio monitors Samson A6 Resolv. They are 120/240VAC, they have a 250V fuse in them the little glass ones 5 x 20m I think, When I change the switch to 240VAC to use them in the UK the fuses blow in the back of the monitors. What fuses do I need?... I also need to know what amps the fuse should be for the wall plug.

It says on the back of them, "when changing voltage, fuse must be changed"

there is also a sticker on them that says, "Samson A6 Resolv 230V

other information on the back of them is'
120VAC T2AL 60Hz
240VAC T1AL 50Hz
Power rating - 120/240V - 60Hz/50Hz 175W

Please help, thanks :)

Engineering news on Phys.org

Call them at 1-800-3SAMSON (1-800-372-6766)

and demand to speak with a sales engineer.

Tell him this in no uncertain terms :
his dumb manual , at
http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/studio-monitors/resolv/resolva6/
(click on resources and manuals)
says to replace the fuses but gives no a hint as to what to replace them with.
So you assume they don't really care and you intend to use a piece of 1/8 inch copper tube until you are advised by a Samson engineer what is the proper fuse.
Further you assume the liability for property damage and loss of life is theirs since they did not caution against overfusing in their 'user manual' or in their 'technical sheet' .

That should get their attention. New York is a litigous place.

Meantime,
Are the fuses slow or fast blow? Try a slowblow of same current rating. My guess is it's inrush.

Really - the correct fuse information belongs on the rear panel silkscreen. I'd send a letter to their head of QA. The guys in design will really appreciate a handwritten note . If they're a good company you'll get a stick-on fuse information label in the mail, as will all other purchasers.

Hi

I'm not sure what type of fuse they are, I don't know anything about this stuff I will take them to a shop tomorrow and see if they can help me. then if I have no luck I will have to contact Samson.

Well they need to be brought up short for that slipshod product literature.
I hope you write them a letter about it.

If you have a magnifying glass look at the fuses - they'll have some kind of marking.

What do they look like? Little glass tubes with metal ends?

I prob will write a letter because this has frustrated me.

Yes they are glass with metal ends really small they look like 5m x 20m.

the markins on them are T1AL250VP

Hmmm i didnt ask if they were square or round.

EDIT OOPS had wrong fuse so edited this post.

That marking agrees with a standard that's new to me.
According to the Littlefuse corporation it's an IEC standard IEC 60127-4-Universal Modular Fuse-Links [UMF]. . Darn that international stuff.

Here's their fuse that would bear that marking. It's a one amp slow-blow.

http://www.littelfuse.com/products/Fuses/5x20mm/218/0218001..html

218-228.jpg

Does it look right size and shape? It's a Littlefuse series 218. Your fuse blows on 240 but not 115? You'd best not tinker around very much, warranty and all that. Looks like an expensive speaker.

I'd sure call them up Monday AM and ask an engineer. If that's the right fuse he'll be impressed you found it . Ask him if he wants higher amp rating or same with longer delay.
I've used Bussman MDL for high inrush loads. Here's a link to MDL datasheet, compare its time curve to that IEC fuse.
One amp MDL1R has not quite twice i2t of that T1AL fuse, 11.4 vs 6.3 . If you get through to their engineer mention that.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/bussmann/electronics/products/cooper_bussmann_overcurrentovervoltagecircuitprotection/fuses_and_accessories/ferrule_fuses/mdl_series_time-delay14x114glasstubefuses.html

but it's dimensioned in inches not metric.
Bussman GMD series looks like MDL characteristic in a 5X20mm package.
http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/bussmann/electrical/products/electronic_smalldimension/elx_5_x_20mm_/gmd-v_gmd.html

Have fun at the shop ! Print those datasheets for the guys there.

old jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the help, I've figured out the problem, the 120/240 switch is printed the wrong way round so they was already set at 240 with the right fuse, so when I switched them they ended up on 120.

Great !
BUT - i sure wish i'd thought of that !
Back panel was really mis-printed ? How did that make it out of the factory !

Can anyone tell me where I can find the fuse inside the Samson Resolv A6? I think it's defect because my son has switch on from 240v to 120v while he was listen to the music! I've look inside but can't find the fuse. (I from Holland so excuse for my terrible English!)

Last edited:

Tenshao1 said:
Thanks for the help, I've figured out the problem, the 120/240 switch is printed the wrong way round so they was already set at 240 with the right fuse, so when I switched them they ended up on 120.

So the fuse was doing its job then! Lucky you.
Another note to the company is called for, I think.

1. Why are my 120/240VAC active monitors blowing fuses?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a short circuit in the wiring, a faulty power supply in the monitor, or an overload of power from the source. It is also possible that the fuse itself is faulty or not the correct size for the monitor.

2. Can I replace the blown fuses with a higher amp rating?

No, it is not recommended to replace fuses with a higher amp rating as it can cause damage to the monitor and potentially start a fire. It is important to use the correct fuse size for the specific monitor.

3. How do I know if the fuse is the problem or if there is an issue with the monitor itself?

You can check the fuse by using a multimeter to test its continuity. If the fuse is blown, it will need to be replaced. If the fuse is not the issue, then there may be a problem with the monitor that will require further troubleshooting.

4. Can I prevent fuses from blowing in the future?

There are a few steps you can take to prevent fuses from blowing in your active monitors. First, make sure you are using the correct fuse size and that the wiring in your setup is properly installed. You can also use a surge protector to protect against power surges. It is also important to regularly clean and maintain your active monitors to prevent any internal issues from arising.

5. Should I attempt to fix the blown fuse myself or seek professional help?

If you are experienced with electronics and have the necessary tools, you may be able to replace the fuse yourself. However, if you are unsure or do not have the proper knowledge, it is best to seek professional help to avoid any further damage to the monitor or potential harm to yourself.

Back