Proving the Jacobi identity from invariance

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of proving the Jacobi identity through invariance. The discussion centers around the use of operators and Lie products on the Lorentz group and Lie algebra, with a focus on the impact of transformations on these entities. The conversation also touches on the role of Lie algebra representations and the definition of invariance. The speaker expresses uncertainty and seeks clarification on certain points related to this concept.
ianhoolihan
"Proving" the Jacobi identity from invariance

Hi all,

In an informal and heuristic manner, I have heard that the "change" in something is the commutator with it, i.e. [itex]\delta A =[J,A][/itex] for an operator [itex]A[/itex] where the change is due to the Lorentz transformation [itex]U = \exp{\epsilon J} = 1 + \epsilon J + \ldots[/itex] where [itex]J[/itex] is one of the six generators of the Lorentz group (rotation or boost). That is, if we have an operator [itex]\phi\ :\ G\to G[/itex], where [itex]G[/itex] is the vector space spanned by the size generators [itex]J_i,K_i[/itex] of the Lorentz group, (i.e. [itex]G[/itex] is the vector representation of the Lorentz algebra) then
[tex]\delta (\phi(T)) = \delta\phi (T) + \phi (\delta T)[/tex]
so, using the above definition of "change"
[tex][J,\phi(T)] = \delta\phi (T) + \phi ([J,T])[/tex].

We can then define [itex]\phi[/itex] to be invariant by saying that [itex]\delta\phi = 0[/itex], and hence

[tex][J,\phi(T)] = \phi([J,T])[/tex].

If one does the same for a Lie product [itex]\mu(X,Y) = [X,Y][/itex] then

[tex]\delta\mu(Y,Z) =\delta\mu (Y,Z) + \mu(\delta Y, Z) + \mu(Y,\delta Z)[/tex]

We say that [itex]\mu[/itex] is invariant and set [itex]\delta\mu = 0[/itex] and hence

[tex][J,\mu(Y,Z)] =\mu([J,Y], Z) + \mu(Y,[J, Z])[/tex]
or

[tex][J,[Y,Z]] =[[J,Y], Z] + [Y,[J, Z]][/tex]

which is the Jacobi identity. This seems great, but I don't understand a few points.

1. I believe the Lie product commutator enters as if we have an operator [itex]A[/itex] on the vectors in the Lorentz group (e.g. Minkowski space), it must change as
[tex]A\to A' = UAU^{-1} = A + \epsilon [J,A] + \ldots[/tex]
correct? But in the above description with [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\mu[/itex], these are operators on the Lorentz algebra, which I thought would remain unchanged.

2. Is the expression
[tex]\delta\mu(Y,Z) =\delta\mu (Y,Z) + \mu(\delta Y, Z) + \mu(Y,\delta Z)[/tex]
rigourous? What about terms like [itex]\mu(\delta Y, \delta Z)[/itex]? Or are those second order?

Any help would be great,

Ianhoolihan

Physics news on Phys.org

Can you please clarify the following?
What is [itex]T[/itex]? Can you give me a specific example of [itex]\phi (T)[/itex]?
Why is it that [itex]\delta[/itex] acts on both [itex]\phi[/itex] and its “argument” [itex]T[/itex]? It looks like that you defined [itex]\phi[/itex] to be a Lie algebra representation or a Lie algebra-valued operator! So, if [itex]\exp (\epsilon \phi)[/itex] is not the identity, what does it mean to set [itex]\delta \phi = 0[/itex]? The same goes for [itex]\mu[/itex]; I can take it to be the linear map [itex](\mu(X))(Y) = [X,Y][/itex], defined on the lie algebra such that (representing the lie algebra in itself)
[tex]\mu([X,Y]) = [\mu(X),\mu(Y)].[/tex]
You can check that such map guarantees the Jacobi identity; expand both sides of
[tex]\mu([X,Y])(Z) = [\mu(X),\mu(Y)](Z).[/tex]
So, what does it mean to set [itex]\delta \mu = 0[/itex]?
In the same way, we can define the action of [itex]\delta_{J}[/itex] on lie algebra element [itex]X[/itex](or, on a lie algebra-valued function [itex]f(x;X)[/itex]) by
[tex]\delta_{J}X = [J,X].[/tex]
This means that [itex]\delta_{J}[/itex] acts as derivation, i.e., it guarantees Jacobi identity. This is because Lie brackets are derivations;
[tex]\delta_{J}[X,Y] = \delta_{J}(XY) - \delta_{J}(YX),[/tex]
This gives the Jacobi identity:
[tex]\delta_{J}[X,Y] = [J,XY] - [J,YX] = [X,\delta_{J}Y] + [\delta_{J}X, Y].[/tex]

Sam

Thanks Sam.

samalkhaiat said:
Can you please clarify the following?
What is [itex]T[/itex]?

[itex]T[/itex] is a vector in the vector space of generators for the algebra. An example would be [itex]T=J_i, K_i[/itex] in the Galilean algebra.

samalkhaiat said:
Can you give me a specific example of [itex]\phi (T)[/itex]?

Say, the trivial one: [itex]\phi(T)=T[/itex] or [itex]\phi(T) = c T[/itex] for some constant [itex]c[/itex].

samalkhaiat said:
Why is it that [itex]\delta[/itex] acts on both [itex]\phi[/itex] and its “argument” [itex]T[/itex]?

That is my question 2. I can only reason along the lines of the chain/product rule. A variation in an evaluated function must depend on the variation in the function, and the variation in the thing it is acting on. Formalising this is what I'm looking for.

samalkhaiat said:
It looks like that you defined [itex]\phi[/itex] to be a Lie algebra representation or a Lie algebra-valued operator! So, if [itex]\exp (\epsilon \phi)[/itex] is not the identity, what does it mean to set [itex]\delta \phi = 0[/itex]?

[itex]\exp (\epsilon \phi)[/itex] is not the identity. I believe the point is what I made above --- under a given transformation of the vector space, both the vectors [itex]\phi[/itex] is operating on, and the 1--cochain [itex]\phi[/itex] may depend on the transformation. In differential geometric language, this would be like saying that both the 1--form and vector bases transform, and so may the "coefficients". Setting [itex]\delta \phi = 0[/itex] means the coefficients do not change. I'm not even 50% sure myself, however.

samalkhaiat said:
The same goes for [itex]\mu[/itex]; I can take it to be the linear map [itex](\mu(X))(Y) = [X,Y][/itex], defined on the lie algebra such that (representing the lie algebra in itself)
[tex]\mu([X,Y]) = [\mu(X),\mu(Y)].[/tex]
You can check that such map guarantees the Jacobi identity; expand both sides of
[tex]\mu([X,Y])(Z) = [\mu(X),\mu(Y)](Z).[/tex]
So, what does it mean to set [itex]\delta \mu = 0[/itex]?
In the same way, we can define the action of [itex]\delta_{J}[/itex] on lie algebra element [itex]X[/itex](or, on a lie algebra-valued function [itex]f(x;X)[/itex]) by
[tex]\delta_{J}X = [J,X].[/tex]
This means that [itex]\delta_{J}[/itex] acts as derivation, i.e., it guarantees Jacobi identity. This is because Lie brackets are derivations;
[tex]\delta_{J}[X,Y] = \delta_{J}(XY) - \delta_{J}(YX),[/tex]
This gives the Jacobi identity:
[tex]\delta_{J}[X,Y] = [J,XY] - [J,YX] = [X,\delta_{J}Y] + [\delta_{J}X, Y].[/tex]

Sam

I do not know what you mean by representing a lie algebra in itself, but, as far as I am concerned, the lie product [itex]\mu[/itex] is a bilinear antisymmetric 2--cochain. Yours is a 1--cochain it seems...?

Anyway, it turns out that I wasn't as clued up about Lie algebras etc as I thought. I still am not, but will look again at Kirillov soon. If you've got any comments on this question, however, they'd still be much appreciated.

Ianhoolihan

1. What is the Jacobi identity?

The Jacobi identity is a mathematical relationship that states that the bracket operation, also known as the Lie bracket or commutator, is associative. It is often written as [a,[b,c]] + [b,[c,a]] + [c,[a,b]] = 0, where a, b, and c are elements of a mathematical structure.

2. Why is proving the Jacobi identity important?

Proving the Jacobi identity is important because it is a fundamental property in many areas of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and physics. It is also a key component in the definition of a Lie algebra, which is a mathematical structure that is widely used in fields such as quantum mechanics and differential geometry.

3. How is the Jacobi identity related to invariance?

Invariance refers to a property of a mathematical object or system that remains unchanged under certain transformations. The Jacobi identity is closely related to invariance because it is a necessary condition for a mathematical structure to be invariant under a certain type of transformation, known as a Lie transformation.

4. What is the process for proving the Jacobi identity from invariance?

The process for proving the Jacobi identity from invariance involves starting with the definition of a Lie algebra and its associated bracket operation. Then, using the properties of invariance and the structure of the Lie algebra, one can show that the Jacobi identity holds for the bracket operation.

5. Are there any applications of proving the Jacobi identity from invariance?

Yes, there are many applications of proving the Jacobi identity from invariance. As mentioned before, the Jacobi identity is a key property in Lie algebras, which have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. Additionally, understanding the relationship between invariance and the Jacobi identity can lead to a deeper understanding of mathematical structures and their properties.