How do I solve a trigonometric equation on a given interval?

In summary: If u still have difficulties with these kind of problems,then u should really reconsider whether you are really the right person to be studying maths... Daniel.In summary, the conversation discusses solving an equation involving sine and determining all possible solutions within a given interval. The experts recommend using the "arcsin" function and taking into account the different quadrants where the solution may lie. They also mention the usefulness of other trigonometric functions such as "arccos" and "arctan" in solving the equation. The conversation also touches upon the importance of understanding the periodic nature of sine and the need to consider the positive and negative values of the function when solving equations.
courtrigrad
Hello all

Just refreshing in maths, and want to know if I am doing this correctly:

Solve the equation [tex] \sin x = 0.2 [/tex] on the interval [tex] 0 \leq x < 2\pi [/tex].

I took [tex] \arcsin(0.2) [/tex], however how do you solve for all solutions in the interval? (i.e what if the interval had been [tex] 0 \leq x < \pi [/tex])

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that "arcsin" only gives you the solution on the interval [itex] [-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2}] [/itex],out of which you will only find useful the positive part.Okay,so that leaves you with another 3 intervals of width [itex] \frac{\pi}{2} [/itex].

HINT:"arccos" will be useful for [itex] [\frac{\pi}{2},\pi] [/itex].
Use that
[tex] \cos(\frac{\pi}{2}-x) =\sin x [/tex]

Daniel.

PS.What about the interval [itex] (\pi,2\pi) [/itex] ??

so [tex] \cos(\frac{\pi}{2}-x) =\sin x [/tex]

then [tex] \arccos(\frac{\pi}{2}-x) = 0.2 [/tex] and then just solve for x.

for [itex] [{\pi},[\frac{3\pi}{2}] [/itex]

and [itex] [\frac{3\pi}{2}],[\frac{2\pi}] [/itex] would i employ the same reasoning?

Thanks

No,your eq.is wrong.
[tex] \cos(\frac{\pi}{2}-x)=\sin x=0.2 [/tex]

Solve for "x".

Daniel.

PS.On the second interval,the equation does not have solutions.Can u see why??

hmmm...isn't there an easier way to do this? Shouldn't I just be able to use the period of [tex] \sin x [/tex] which is [tex] 2\pi [/tex] and divide it into 4 equal parts?

Thanks

Believe,me there ain't no simpler method.2 simple equations solvable via "arcsin" and "arccos" and the fact that,on the interval [itex] (\pi,2\pi) [/itex] the "sine" is negative will give you the answer.

Daniel.

courtrigrad said:
Hello all

Just refreshing in maths, and want to know if I am doing this correctly:

Solve the equation [tex] \sin x = 0.2 [/tex] on the interval [tex] 0 \leq x < 2\pi [/tex].

I took [tex] \arcsin(0.2) [/tex], however how do you solve for all solutions in the interval? (i.e what if the interval had been [tex] 0 \leq x < \pi [/tex])

Thanks

Just use the fact that [tex]\sin x[/tex] is positive for [tex]x[/tex] in the 1st and 2nd quadrants. That means a domain of [tex] 0 \leq x < \pi [/tex]

By plugging in [tex]\arcsin(0.2)[/tex], you'll be finding the 1st quadrant value. To get the other value in the second quadrant, just subtract the value of [tex]x[/tex] from [tex]\pi[/tex], et voila ! That is, if [tex]x[/tex] is one answer, then [tex](\pi - x)[/tex] is the other required answer.

Another way of looking at this is :

[tex]\sin (x) = \sin (\pi - x)[/tex]

Equivalent expressions for cosine and tangent are :

[tex]\cos(x) = \cos (2\pi - x) = \cos (-x)[/tex]

[tex]\tan(x) = \tan (\pi + x)[/tex]

Last edited:
Did u have a rough night?
1.There's no such thing as [itex] \arcsin 2 [/itex]

2.If he adds \pi to the first solution,he'll end up in the third quadrant...

3.[tex] \sin(\pi+x)=-\sin x [/tex].

If u don't know,at least don't show it...

Daniel.

EDIT:And one more thing:it's "VOILÀ",or "voilà"...

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
Did u have a rough night?
1.There's no such thing as [itex] \arcsin 2 [/itex]

2.If he adds \pi to the first solution,he'll end up in the third quadrant...

3.[tex] \sin(\pi+x)=-\sin x [/tex].

If u don't know,at least don't show it...

Daniel.

I made a typo, genius. I just got up, Singapore time and everything.

I know how to do this, you obviously don't. Honestly, WTF are you doing asking him to consider the arccosine in such a trivially simple problem ?!

If YOU don't know, don't harangue others who do.

Curious3141 said:
I know how to do this, you obviously don't.

You must have had a rough night... :tongue2: Was it because in Singapore the air it's more humid,hence it is harder to breathe?? :confused:

You know them alright,you edited your post twice until got the final result.The last time was after i posted the reply in which i showed the mistakes...

Daniel...

PS.Expressions as "WTF" denote your level of intelligence... :yuck:

dextercioby said:
You must have had a rough night... :tongue2: Was it because in Singapore the air it's more humid,hence it is harder to breathe?? :confused:

You know them alright,you edited your post twice until got the final result.The last time was after i posted the reply in which i showed the mistakes...

Daniel...

PS.Expressions as "WTF" denote your level of intelligence... :yuck:

OK, that's it ! :mad:

FYI, I had just finished editing my post when you had waltzed in with you arrogant little "corrections". I don't need *you* to teach *me* trig.

It's obvious that my knowledge of trig and possibly other areas of math exceeds yours. Might I remind you of that thread you started in the brainteaser section with a (to me) simple question, which I summarily solved, yet which you couldn't crack with your wonderful noggin ?

I can see you are an arrogant, small minded phallus. You didn't bother to acknowledge my solution of your poser, because you're bearing a grudge after our run in about fundamental "axioms" in Physics. Which, BTW, I have yet to hear your learned dogma on.

I can assure you my IQ is at least as high, if not higher than yours. Currently, I'm not even doing Maths/Physics/Engg as a primary discipline. My knowledge was gained many years back in school, with no practice in between. I think it's pretty good considering that.

Keep your petty little taunts to the grade school yard where you belong.

opps wrong button, The little red triange at the bottom left is the report message button.

Both of your are getting a bit carried away. Just stop, I think the question has been answered.

Last edited:
if we get the value of [tex] x [/tex] in the first two quadrants, that means there are no solutions in the third and fourth quadrants?

Thanks

courtrigrad said:
if we get the value of [tex] x [/tex] in the first two quadrants, that means there are no solutions in the third and fourth quadrants?

Thanks

Correct, there are no solutions for this equation in the 3rd and 4th quadrants. :smile:

courtrigrad said:

Thanks

Yes,simply because the "sine" is negative,and your equation is asking for solutions which make "sine" 0.2,which is positive.

Daniel.

ok thanks a lot guys for taking your time to help me brush up on some trig!

1. What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These equations typically involve angles and are used to solve for unknown values.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you must isolate the trigonometric function and use inverse trigonometric functions to simplify the equation. This often involves using trigonometric identities and properties to transform the equation into a more manageable form.

3. What are some common trigonometric identities that are used to solve equations?

Some common trigonometric identities used to solve equations include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities can be used to simplify trigonometric expressions and equations.

4. Can trigonometric equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, trigonometric equations can have multiple solutions. This is because trigonometric functions are periodic and repeat themselves after a certain interval. Therefore, there may be more than one angle that satisfies the equation.

5. What are some real-world applications of trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. They can be used to calculate distances, angles, and heights, and are essential in solving problems involving triangles and circular motion.