Noob question about relativity

In summary, in the conversation it was discussed that if two people are sitting together in a car and the car starts accelerating, as the speed approaches the speed of light, their relative speed to each other will still be 0. This is because they are in the same frame of reference and are not moving relative to each other. The possibility of different relative speeds is only present if one person is in the front seat and the other in the back seat, or if there are extreme accelerations involved.
httr
Hi,

I'm not a physicist and my idea of relativity is limited by wiki... but I have one question...

If I sit with my friend in a car and the car starts accelerating. As the speed of car approaches the speed of light, what's the relative speed of me to my friend?

Physics news on Phys.org
If he is sitting in the car with you, then his relative speed to you will always be 0.

That doesn't agree with relativity, does it? Could you explain?

httr said:
That doesn't agree with relativity, does it? Could you explain?

Of course it agrees with relativity. You are both in the same frame of reference so your relative velocity is zero. What would you expect it to be? Did he fall out of the car?

EDIT: It's not JUST that you are in the same frame of reference, it's that you are not moving relative to EACH OTHER.

My first thought was that what Matterwave and Phinds said is the only possible answer. If you're both in the front seat, then I don't see a reason to even suspect that another answer is possible.

However, if one of you is in the front seat and the other in the back seat, then there's the fact that the car is going to have different lengths in the inertial coordinate system in which it was at rest before you turned on the engine, and in the inertial coordinate system in which it's at rest now. In the former, the back seat will have a higher speed than the front seat, as the car is "shrinking". This could be a reason to suspect that your friend's speed relative to you will be non-zero.

If the car is doing "Born rigid acceleration" (the default behavior of a solid object that's being accelerated gently), then I think the answer is still 0. To get an answer that's significantly different from zero, the car would have to accelerate so violently that shock waves through the body of the car influence the speeds of its components parts significantly. This will tear a real car to pieces, and kill both you and your friend. So if you live to see what's happening, what you will see is that your friend's velocity relative to you is zero.

Last edited:
Hi httr: What caused you to ask your question...did you read something that made you wonder about this case...maybe made you think relativity would predict something else:

If I sit with my friend in a car and the car starts accelerating. As the speed of car approaches the speed of light, what's the relative speed of me to my friend?

Your description implies, as phinds posted:
You are both in the same frame of reference so your relative velocity is zero.

so we all assume that the accelerations for each of you are the same and you are moving together in parallel. For example, even if you and your friend have different weights, you post implies identical accelerations and velocities.

Hi, httr

Not only you and your friend but your belly and back or your light hand and left hand have relative speed, you expect. Are you OK in the car?

Regards.

As long as you are moving at constant speed, the distance between you and a passenger in your back seat, or between your belly and back, is a constant and the relative speeds are 0. It is only if you are accelerating that you may have problems. Very high accelerations, just like being near, say, a neutron star, can cause extreme force gradients that could tear your car, or your body, apart.

1. What is relativity?

Relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. How does relativity work?

Relativity is based on two main principles: the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, and the principle of the constancy of the speed of light, which states that the speed of light is the same for all observers regardless of their motion. These principles form the basis of the theory and allow for the prediction of how objects behave in different frames of reference.

3. Why is relativity important?

Relativity has had a profound impact on our understanding of the universe and has led to many practical applications, such as GPS technology. It has also revolutionized our understanding of gravity, space, and time, and has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations.

4. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the relationship between space and time in inertial (non-accelerating) frames of reference, while general relativity extends this to include accelerated frames of reference and the effects of gravity. In general relativity, gravity is seen as a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

5. Can relativity be proven?

The predictions of relativity have been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations, such as the bending of light by massive objects and the time dilation of fast-moving particles. However, like all scientific theories, it is constantly being tested and refined, and any new evidence or observations may lead to further developments or revisions in our understanding of relativity.