Cross section computation - Huang's Statistical Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses chapter three of Huang's Statistical Mechanics, specifically the quantum version of the classical cross section for a scattering process. The fundamental quantity in this process is the matrix T, which represents an operator T(E). The equation for T(E) is given as H'+H'(E-H_0+i\epsilon)^{-1}H'+\dots, where H_0 is the unperturbed hamiltonian, H' is the potential, and epsilon goes to zero. The individual is unsure about the meaning of this equation and asks for clarification or a reference. The expert suggests looking into perturbation theory and references Sakurai's book for further reading.
QuArK21343
I am reading chapter three of Huang's Statistical Mechanics and I have a problem with equation (3.22). Having discussed the derivation of the classical cross section for a scattering process, Huang moves on to the quantum version of it. He states that in quantum mechanics the fundamental quantity in a scattering process is the matrix T, that represents an operator T(E):

[tex]T=<1',2'|T(E)|1,2>[/tex]

where [itex]|1,2>[/itex] is the initial state ket of the system of two particles and the primed ket is the final state ket. He also writes:

[tex]T(E)=H'+H'(E-H_0+i\epsilon)^{-1}H'+\dots[/tex]

where H_0 is the unperturbed hamiltonian, H' the potential and epsilon goes to zero. I don't understand what he means by that. Can you explain what I am missing or give me some reference? Up to now, the first two chapters were really good and I enjoyed them, but given that I have only a basic knowledge of non-relativistic quantum mechanics (one dimensional problems, bra-ket notation and not much more), do you think is it useful to go on reading this book?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need some perturbation theory for QM, but Huang's stat mech doesn't rely too much on perturbation theory, so shouldn't be a big problem. For your question, this is essentially a Born approximation, c.f. Sakurai, "Modern quantum mechanics, revised edition", chap 7.2, and 7.2.20 is exactly what you wrote, but you probably need to read from the beginning of the chapter.

Thank you very much for your reference! By pure coincidence I am also reading Sakurai's book, so I will definitely have a look.

1. What is cross section computation in Huang's Statistical Mechanics?

Cross section computation in Huang's Statistical Mechanics is a method used to calculate the probability of a particular scattering event occurring between particles. It involves analyzing the interaction between particles and determining the likelihood of them colliding and scattering off each other.

2. How is cross section computed in Huang's Statistical Mechanics?

Cross section is computed by using the principles of statistical mechanics to determine the probability of particle interactions. This involves considering factors such as the size and velocity of the particles, as well as the forces acting between them.

3. What is the significance of cross section computation in Statistical Mechanics?

Cross section computation is important in Statistical Mechanics as it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of particles in various physical systems. It is particularly useful in studying the behavior of gases and understanding phenomena such as diffusion and heat transfer.

4. How does Huang's Statistical Mechanics approach cross section computation?

Huang's Statistical Mechanics uses mathematical models and equations to analyze the interactions between particles and determine the probability of scattering events. These models take into account factors such as particle velocities and forces, and use statistical methods to calculate the cross section.

5. Can cross section computation be applied to other fields of science?

Yes, cross section computation can be applied to various fields of science such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is a fundamental concept in understanding particle interactions and can be used to study a wide range of phenomena, from atomic and molecular collisions to the behavior of particles in complex systems.