Question on Decoherence and the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser

In summary, decoherence is an irreversible process that occurs when a large number of degrees of freedom are involved. However, in the case of a quantum eraser experiment, where only a small number of degrees of freedom are involved, coherence can be restored through additional equipment or manipulation. In the Mach-Zehnder interferometer, even if one of the paths is blocked or manipulated, the interference pattern can still be observed due to the restoration of coherence through phase angle ordering.
dtdynd
From what I have read online, decoherence is an irreversible process that gives the appearance of wave function collapse. For example, a macroscopic measuring device will always interact with the particle it is trying to measure, and the particle becomes entangled to this environment, and appears to "collapse" in an irreversible way.

However, can someone PLEASE explain to me why, after we erase the which-path information (in the delayed choice quantum eraser setup) the interference pattern emerges? I thought it was irreversible! As wikipedia puts it "Any measuring device or apparatus acts as an environment...[and] decoherence happens when different portions of the system's wavefunction become entangled in different ways with the measuring device. I know I'm missing something here, please help me understand this!

Lastly, I'm also confused about the Mach–Zehnder interferometer. If an object (or say a detector) is blocking one of the photon's potential paths, the photon will take ONLY ONE of the available paths and cannot interfere with itself. Now, on the delayed choice quantum eraser setup, doesn't there exist a similar path it could take (hitting one of the detectors that would provide us with which-path information)? In this case, I would imagine that the photon in this DCQE experiment should also take only one path (or slit, in the initial double slit part of this experiment) ...yet, we still find an interference pattern that indicates it had interfered with itself! Again, I know there's something very obvious I'm not understanding... Please help explain it to me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Decoherence is irreversible only when caused by a LARGE number of degrees of freedom. A quantum eraser involves a small number of degrees of freedom, which is why it is reversible.

dtdynd; said:
Lastly, I'm also confused about the Mach–Zehnder interferometer. If an object (or say a detector) is blocking one of the photon's potential paths, the photon will take ONLY ONE of the available paths and cannot interfere with itself. Now, on the delayed choice quantum eraser setup, doesn't there exist a similar path it could take (hitting one of the detectors that would provide us with which-path information)? In this case, I would imagine that the photon in this DCQE experiment should also take only one path (or slit, in the initial double slit part of this experiment) ...yet, we still find an interference pattern that indicates it had interfered with itself! Again, I know there's something very obvious I'm not understanding... Please help explain it to me!

- The path is not blocked, (in quantum eraser experiments) only messed with, a bit...;), spoiling the ordering of phase angles

- Coherence is restored via additional equipment/manipulation i.e. ordering of phase angles is (almost) brought back to prior state i.e. whatever mess was created, is sorted out and it is brought back to prior phase relationship between the components of the system

- On a separate note: Agree with demystifier post. coherence is (almost) restorable when only a few degrees of freedom are involved

Last edited:

1. What is decoherence in quantum mechanics?

Decoherence is a process in quantum mechanics where the superposition of different states of a system becomes entangled with its environment, causing the system to behave classically. This means that the system's wave function collapses and the different possible outcomes become distinguishable.

2. What is the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment?

The Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment is a thought experiment that tests the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the concept of wave-particle duality. It involves sending a photon through a double-slit apparatus and then detecting which slit the photon passes through. However, by using a specific setup, it is possible to "erase" the information about the photon's path and observe interference patterns, indicating that the photon behaved as a wave rather than a particle.

3. How does decoherence affect the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment?

In the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment, decoherence plays a crucial role in determining whether the photon behaves as a wave or a particle. If the photon's path is detected, it becomes entangled with the measuring apparatus, causing decoherence and resulting in the observation of a particle-like behavior. On the other hand, if the information about the photon's path is erased, decoherence does not occur, and the photon's wave-like behavior can be observed through interference patterns.

4. What are the implications of the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment?

The Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment challenges our understanding of the nature of reality and the role of conscious observation in determining the behavior of particles. It suggests that the measurement of a particle's properties can affect its past behavior, indicating that the concept of causality may not apply at the quantum level. This has significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental principles of the universe.

5. How is the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment relevant in modern research?

The Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment continues to be a topic of interest and research in the field of quantum mechanics. It has been used to study the behavior of entangled particles and has implications for quantum information processing and quantum communication. It also raises questions about the nature of time and the possibility of retrocausality, where the future affects the past. Further research in this area may lead to a better understanding of the fundamental principles of the universe.