How Can I Deepen My Understanding of Infinite Series and Sequences?

In summary, the conversation was about the topic of infinite series and sequences, which the person is interested in learning more about. They asked for book recommendations on the subject and were advised to start with "Calculus" by Spivak, which may be challenging but a good introduction to analysis. They were also told that analysis is not easy and requires familiarity with proofs. Additional topics such as Fourier series were also mentioned.
swill777
Hello.

Having already learned about infinite series and sequences in my calculus class, I'm quite interested in them and especially in learning more about them. If any of you have in mind any good books on the subject which you can recommend to me, it will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
To know more about them, you have to do analysis. They are absolutely fundamental there.
Unfortunately, analysis is not very easy and is quite proof-based.

If you're interested in pursuing analysis, then you should probably start with "Calculus" by Spivak, which is a nice "introduction" to analysis. It's not a very easy book though and it requires you to be very familiar with proofs.

After a first introduction to analysis, you might want to take a look at interesting topics such as Fourier series.

What are Infinite Series and Sequences?

Infinite series and sequences are mathematical concepts that involve a list of numbers or terms that continue indefinitely. They are used to represent functions, approximate values, and solve problems in various fields of science and mathematics.

What is the difference between an Infinite Series and an Infinite Sequence?

An infinite series is the sum of an infinite sequence, while an infinite sequence is a list of numbers or terms that continue indefinitely. Essentially, an infinite series is the result of adding all the terms in an infinite sequence.

What are some common examples of Infinite Series and Sequences?

Some common examples of infinite series and sequences include the geometric series, harmonic series, and Fibonacci sequence. These can be used to solve problems in calculus, physics, and other areas of mathematics.

How are Infinite Series and Sequences used in real life applications?

Infinite series and sequences are used in various real life applications, such as calculating interest rates in finance, predicting population growth in biology, and analyzing data in computer science. They are also used in engineering, physics, and other fields to model and solve complex problems.

How do you determine if an Infinite Series or Sequence converges or diverges?

To determine if an infinite series or sequence converges, you can use various tests such as the ratio test, comparison test, or integral test. These tests evaluate the behavior of the terms in the series or sequence and determine if they approach a finite limit (converge) or continue to increase indefinitely (diverge).