Do you think this theory/website REALLY prove Many World Interpretation of QM?

In summary: If he wanted to do anything to support the MWI view then he would have to demonstrate how the actual statistics emerge. In his simulation there is no notion of statistics at all, and specifically none that would depend on the amplitudes associated with the outcomes.You can safely ignore this work. He has not understood the problem he is trying to solve.
AlexZ
Hello all,
On one forum I found this link:

http://oyhus.no/QM_explaining_many-worlds.html

claiming to demonstrate correctness of Many Wordls interpretation of QM.
On the one hand - seems like well presented arguments.
On the other hand: it claimes to be discovered in 1990,and it seems not to appear in any peer-reviewed scientific editions.I think: if it REALY is the case - I even didn't come across any apologist of Many Worlds using THIS argument.
But if it IS true - then it should close long dispute about what interpretation is correct,and should be published everywhere

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
AlexZ said:
Hello all,
On one forum I found this link:

http://oyhus.no/QM_explaining_many-worlds.html

claiming to demonstrate correctness of Many Wordls interpretation of QM.
On the one hand - seems like well presented arguments.
On the other hand: it claimes to be discovered in 1990,and it seems not to appear in any peer-reviewed scientific editions.I think: if it REALY is the case - I even didn't come across any apologist of Many Worlds using THIS argument.
But if it IS true - then it should close long dispute about what interpretation is correct,and should be published everywhere

Any thoughts?

I think it claims to be discovered in 1990,and it seems not to appear in any peer-reviewed scientific editions and that pretty much says it all.

phinds said:
I think it claims to be discovered in 1990,and it seems not to appear in any peer-reviewed scientific editions and that pretty much says it all.
Thanks for the response,phinds.It is exactly what I mentioned, that only thing I lacked is to conclude what you concluded,and it seems to be logical conclusion.I also e-mailed this links to some physicists,and so far got response only from one of them - Victor Stenger.
To my question,whether he thinks it proves th MWI,I don't even think he bothered to open the link,but stated: "You cannot prove interpretation".Maybe it also good point.Let's wait for another responses...

AlexZ said:
Thanks for the response,phinds.It is exactly what I mentioned, that only thing I lacked is to conclude what you concluded,and it seems to be logical conclusion.I also e-mailed this links to some physicists,and so far got response only from one of them - Victor Stenger.
To my question,whether he thinks it proves th MWI,I don't even think he bothered to open the link,but stated: "You cannot prove interpretation".Maybe it also good point.Let's wait for another responses...

Sorry, I guess my sarcasm was too subtle. I just copied exactly what you said because I DO think that says it all.

Carl Sagan said extreme claims require extreme proof. Do you think they even come close?

phinds said:
Sorry, I guess my sarcasm was too subtle. I just copied exactly what you said because I DO think that says it all.

Carl Sagan said extreme claims require extreme proof. Do you think they even come close?
That's the point,I'm not physicist.This guy demonstrates he somehow played with electrons,and on their positions ("up", "down") decided for validity of MWI.The point is that I have no idea how to regard it,proof or not.But even if I don't know,the fact that it didn't appear anywhere says a lot.I think MWI advocates would catch this immediately,but so far I haven'e read anything like that from any MWI advocate

Folks,what really intrigues me here is his experiment with electrons("up","down").It is precisely here : http://motls.blogspot.ca/2012/08/simple-proof-qm-implies-many-worlds.html Luboš Motl makes electron example,arguing that it cannot move and thus concluding that MWI is false, but this guy seems to demonstrate exactly opposite.That is what I find intriguing,Can it be explained?On the other hand,the fact that since then it was not published anywhere also stands...

The only thing this guy proves is his own ignorance. His comments about how physicists don't know how to simulate physical setups to get the answer gives that away already, even before you analyze his arguments.

And what he then tries to demonstrate has never been in much doubt and does not provide any additional insight at all. He shows the almost trivial fact that you can entangle observer and outcome in a way that creates relative outcome states to the observer that don't interfere. That's the basic idea of MWI. And it's easy to see the existence of processes like that, no need for computer simulations.

If he wanted to do anything to support the MWI view then he would have to demonstrate how the actual statistics emerge. In his simulation there is no notion of statistics at all, and specifically none that would depend on the amplitudes associated with the outcomes.

You can safely ignore this work. He has not understood the problem he is trying to solve.

Cheers,
Jazz

Thanks,Jazzdude

"You can safely ignore this work."

As I told,I had a gut feeling about that based on the simple fact that his work was NOT published in any peer-reviewed journals,even by ardent supporters of Many Worlds.And it is since 1990

But the bottom line I think is the fact that since then it was NOT published in any scientific periodical,and was NOT reviewed by any scientists.
There is actually interesting more or less recent book about Everett,writeen by proponents and critics,here is the review:

http://ndpr.nd.edu/news/24515-many-worlds-everett-quantum-theory-and-reality/

Interesting point at the end of the review: maybe quantum mechanics itself will be replaced sometime in the future?

Thanks,Jazzdude

"You can safely ignore this work."

As I told,I had a gut feeling about that based on the simple fact that his work was NOT published in any peer-reviewed journals,even by ardent supporters of Many Worlds.And it is since 1990

But the bottom line I think is the fact that since then it was NOT published in any scientific periodical,and was NOT reviewed by any scientists.
There is actually interesting more or less recent book about Everett,writeen by proponents and critics,here is the review:

http://ndpr.nd.edu/news/24515-many-worlds-everett-quantum-theory-and-reality/

Interesting point at the end of the review: maybe quantum mechanics itself will be replaced sometime in the future?

As our rules clearly state, discussion of theories posted on personal web pages and in unpublished manuscripts is not permitted. Nor is linking to such sites.

1. What is the Many World Interpretation (MWI) of Quantum Mechanics (QM)?

The Many World Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics proposes that every time a quantum measurement is made, the universe splits into multiple parallel universes, each representing a different outcome of the measurement. This theory is a way of explaining the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics and the role of observation in determining the state of a system.

2. How does the MWI differ from other interpretations of QM?

The MWI is one of several interpretations of QM, each with its own unique explanation of the underlying principles. Unlike the Copenhagen interpretation, which suggests that a particle exists in a superposition of states until observed, the MWI posits that all possible outcomes of a measurement exist in parallel universes. The MWI also differs from the pilot-wave theory, which proposes that particles are guided by hidden variables, and the many histories interpretation, which suggests that all possible histories of a system exist simultaneously.

3. What evidence supports the MWI of QM?

Currently, there is no empirical evidence that directly supports the MWI of QM. However, the theory has gained popularity among physicists due to its ability to explain certain aspects of quantum mechanics, such as the measurement problem and non-locality, in a more intuitive way. Additionally, recent experiments have provided some support for the existence of parallel universes, which is a key component of the MWI.

4. Can the MWI of QM be proven?

As with any scientific theory, it is not possible to prove the MWI of QM with absolute certainty. However, as new evidence and experiments continue to emerge, the theory may become more widely accepted among the scientific community. It is also important to note that the concept of proof in science is different from proof in mathematics - scientific theories are constantly evolving and subject to change as new information is discovered.

5. How does the concept of Occam's razor apply to the MWI?

Occam's razor is a principle that suggests the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. In the case of the MWI, some argue that the theory introduces unnecessary complexity by proposing the existence of an infinite number of parallel universes. However, proponents of the MWI argue that it is a simpler explanation than other interpretations of QM that rely on hidden variables or multiple histories. Ultimately, the application of Occam's razor to the MWI is a matter of interpretation and perspective.