Help with Metal reactions in solutions.

In summary, the conversation is about a metal activity series lab where the speaker added calcium to 8 different solutions. They are now stuck on writing the net ionic equations for each reaction, specifically for the reaction between calcium and calcium nitrate. The speaker also mentions another reaction between calcium and iron sulfate, where gas was formed but is not included in the equation. The expert summarizer explains that in both cases, calcium can react with water to form calcium hydroxide and hydrogen gas. The first reaction results in no overall displacement, while the second reaction displaces iron with calcium and forms calcium sulfate. The expert also notes that the first step of each reaction is the same, but subsequent steps may vary depending on the solution composition.
nando94
my class did a metal activity series lab where we added calcium to 8 different solutions. We have to write the net ionic equations for each reaction but I am stuck getting started on them.
Ca(s) + Ca(NO3)2(aq) = ?

my guess

Ca(s) + Ca(NO3)2(aq) + 2H2O(l) --> Ca(OH)2 + H2(g) + Ca(NO3)(aq)

This one reacted in the lab. I also remember gas being formed so do I have to include water in the equation?? but i don't know what the equation is. Another one is

Ca(s) + FeSO4(aq) = I am guessing its CaSO4(aq) + Fe(s) ?

again there was gas formation but there is no gas in the equation?

Would really appreciate the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since both solutions are aqueous solution, Calcium can simply react with water to form Calcium Hydroxide and Hydrogen Gas.

In the first one, no overall displacement takes place as the displacing metal and displaced metals, both are the same. In the second one, iron will be displaced by calcium and Calcium Sulphate will be formed. In the second equation, you must include water because Calcium can react with water at room temperature. That too, vigorously. If warm water is taken, the hydrogen gas evolved can catch fire too, giving you Brick-red flame.

Last edited:
nando94 said:
we added calcium to 8 different solutions

And the first step was always the same. Depending on the solution composition something else could happen afterwards, but the next stage would be almost the same if you were to add dissolved Ca(OH)2.

1. How do metal ions react in solution?

Metal ions in solution are attracted to oppositely charged ions, such as anions or other metal ions. They can also form complexes with ligands, which are molecules or ions that bond to the metal ion. The specific reaction will depend on the metal ion and the other substances present in the solution.

2. What factors can affect the rate of metal reactions in solution?

The rate of metal reactions in solution can be affected by factors such as temperature, concentration of reactants, presence of a catalyst, and the nature of the solvent. Higher temperatures, increased reactant concentration, and the use of a catalyst can all increase the rate of reaction, while the nature of the solvent can influence the stability of metal complexes.

3. What are some common types of metal reactions in solution?

Some common types of metal reactions in solution include oxidation-reduction reactions, precipitation reactions, and acid-base reactions. In oxidation-reduction reactions, electrons are transferred between metal ions and other substances. Precipitation reactions involve the formation of an insoluble solid when two solutions are mixed. Acid-base reactions occur when a metal ion reacts with an acid or a base to form a salt and water.

4. How can metal reactions in solution be controlled?

Metal reactions in solution can be controlled by adjusting the conditions of the reaction, such as temperature, pH, and the concentrations of reactants. In addition, the use of chelating agents, which bind to metal ions and prevent them from reacting, can also control metal reactions in solution. Another method of control is through the use of inhibitors, which slow down or prevent certain reactions.

5. What are some potential applications of metal reactions in solution?

Metal reactions in solution have a wide range of applications in various fields such as industrial processes, environmental remediation, and medical treatments. They are used in processes such as metal plating, water treatment, and the synthesis of pharmaceuticals. In addition, metal reactions in solution are also important in understanding biochemical processes and developing new materials and technologies.