Hydrogen Peroxide oxidation state

In summary: H2O from H2 and O2, you need to transfer 2 electrons to an oxygen atom from each of 2 hydrogen atoms. This would be a half-reaction of H2 -> 2H+ + 2e-, and another half-reaction of O2 + 4e- -> 2O2-. Adding those together gives H2 + O2 -> H2O. The same half-reactions would apply if you instead made H2O2 from H2 and O2.In summary, when dealing with redox reactions, the oxidation states of elements are used to name compounds, balance equations, and solve problems. Oxygen is typically assigned a -2
RichRobX
In a redox reaction I found, Hydrogen Peroxide (H202) was taken as having an oxidation state of zero

However my chemistry teacher keeps telling me that oxygen ALWAYS has an oxidation state of -2 so that would mean the hydrogen in H202 must have an oxidation state of +2 to keep the molecule neutral. Since this +2 can only come from the loss of 2 electrons how is it possible for hydrogen, which when neutral has 1 electron, to lose 2 electrons and become +2?

Please forgive my ignorance on all chemistry matters :confused:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
RichRobX said:
In a redox reaction I found, Hydrogen Peroxide (H202) was taken as having an oxidation state of zero.
Oxidation states are used to name compounds, balance equations and for ionic equations. There are rules that say you must go by certain elements first. One is that oxygen is on of the ones that almost always takes the charge of -2. So in your example the overall charge of oxygen is -4 (-2 x 2). This means, as you said, that hydrogen must have an overall charge of +4 (+2 for each atom). I don't think that it has anything to do with the electrons in this case.

The Bob (2004 ©)

i still don't understand how something with only one proton (providing +1) can have a charge of +2, surely its just not possible

1. Oxidation states are a tool for solving problems.

2. What problem are you trying to solve here ?

3. Treat oxygen as -1 in this case. (exception to the rule, if you may)

As Gokul indicated, treat the oxygen as -1 state, and hydrogen as +1.

The oxygen atoms share a bond between each other.

In general H2O2 --> H2O and O. Hydrogen peroxide is a powerful oxidizing agent. The O in H2O has a -2 valence state, and the free oxygen (O) is neutral until it reacts with another element (atom), and it will most likely take a -2 state.

Remember too that the bond structure for H202 is H-O-O-H, so essentally though the O's are -2 each (each have 6 electrons), they share a valence electron this making the sub-molecule O-O have a total -2 valence state(in the bohr view). Then the 2 H's (each with only one electron) fill those slots.

The self bonding (encountered especially for C in organic compounds) always alters the ON.For oxygen,it is -1.I advise you to compute these numberds for di,tri and tetrationats of Natrium,for example...Or peroxodisulphuric acid [itex] H_{2}S_{2}O_{8} [/itex] You'll be surprised...

These numbers are essential when discussing redox reactions...

Daniel.

ok so assuming Oxygen in H2O2 is -1 and the hydrogen +1:
H2O2 --> H2O + O
The oxidation state of oxygen in the H20 is now -2, so would you say that one oxygen has been reduced and the other oxidised?

Hint: Hydrogen peroxide. Try reading up on the section of polyatomic ions in your text, it should describe to you the oxidation state of oxygen in this compound.

I learned the reason as being peroxide is a polyatomic, [itex]O_2^{-2}[/itex], so the bond stil works out. It's sort of like mercury(I) being [itex]Hg_2^{+2}[/itex] and what not.

What do you mean " the bond still works out"...?

Daniel.

RichRobX said:
ok so assuming Oxygen in H2O2 is -1 and the hydrogen +1:...
That's correct. Hydrogen is almost always +1. The only exception is when it's -1, as in a hydride (eg, LiH). Oxygen is usually -2. In peroxides, it's taken as -1. There are also superoxides (like NaO2), where it's -0.5. These oxidation numbers don't necessarily refer to the electrons in any individual atom, but are used for calculating overall electron transfers in the half-reactions.

1. What is the oxidation state of Hydrogen Peroxide?

The oxidation state of Hydrogen Peroxide is -1, as it contains two oxygen atoms with a -1 oxidation state each, balanced by the +2 oxidation state of the hydrogen atoms.

2. How does the oxidation state of Hydrogen Peroxide change in a chemical reaction?

The oxidation state of Hydrogen Peroxide can either increase or decrease depending on the reaction. In most cases, it acts as an oxidizing agent and its oxidation state increases to 0, releasing oxygen gas. However, it can also be reduced to water, causing its oxidation state to decrease to -2.

3. Can the oxidation state of Hydrogen Peroxide be manipulated in a laboratory setting?

Yes, the oxidation state of Hydrogen Peroxide can be manipulated in a laboratory setting through various chemical reactions. For example, it can be reduced to water by adding a reducing agent, or it can be oxidized to oxygen gas by adding a strong oxidizing agent.

4. What are the implications of the oxidation state of Hydrogen Peroxide in different reactions?

The oxidation state of Hydrogen Peroxide plays a crucial role in various reactions, especially in industries such as water treatment and pharmaceuticals. It is used as an oxidizing agent to neutralize harmful substances, and its oxidation state determines its effectiveness in these reactions.

5. How is the oxidation state of Hydrogen Peroxide determined in a chemical compound?

The oxidation state of Hydrogen Peroxide can be determined by assigning the electronegativity values to each atom and using the general rule that the sum of all oxidation states in a compound must equal its overall charge. Alternatively, it can also be determined through various analytical techniques such as titration or spectroscopy.