Mesh Current Analysis w/ Controlled Current Source

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of i_x when a=2 using mesh current analysis. Three equations are used to solve for i1, i2, and i3, resulting in a solution of i1=0, i2=0.5, and i3=0.5. The conversation ends with a confirmation that there is no reason why i1 cannot be zero.
zarrin77
Solve i_x when a=2. (See attached picture)

This is my attempt (mesh current analysis):

I made i1 be the lower left loop current.
I made i2 be the lower right loop current.
I made i3 be the upper loop current.

Mesh1: i1 = 2ix

Mesh2: -10 + 3(i2-i3) + 20i2 = 0

Mesh3: -5 + 3(i3 - i2) + 10(i3-i1) = 0

Also: ix = i3 - i2 => -i1 - 2i2 + 2i3 = 0

Using those last three equations: i1=0, i2=.5, i3=.5

I don't think that i1 can be 0... and I can't figure out any place I went wrong; it seems pretty straightforward?

Thank you very much for your help!

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 488
Physics news on Phys.org
zarrin77 said:
Solve i_x when a=2. (See attached picture)

This is my attempt (mesh current analysis):

I made i1 be the lower left loop current.
I made i2 be the lower right loop current.
I made i3 be the upper loop current.

Mesh1: i1 = 2ix

Mesh2: -10 + 3(i2-i3) + 20i2 = 0

Mesh3: -5 + 3(i3 - i2) + 10(i3-i1) = 0

Also: ix = i3 - i2 => -i1 - 2i2 + 2i3 = 0

Using those last three equations: i1=0, i2=.5, i3=.5

I don't think that i1 can be 0... and I can't figure out any place I went wrong; it seems pretty straightforward?

Thank you very much for your help!

There's no reason why i1 (and hence Ix) cannot be zero. Your solution looks okay to me.

1. What is Mesh Current Analysis with Controlled Current Source?

Mesh Current Analysis with Controlled Current Source is a circuit analysis method used to determine the voltage and current in a circuit with one or more controlled current sources. This method involves creating a set of mesh equations using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, and then solving for the unknown mesh currents using simultaneous equations.

2. When is Mesh Current Analysis with Controlled Current Source used?

Mesh Current Analysis with Controlled Current Source is typically used in circuits with multiple current sources, where the values of the sources are not known. It is also useful in circuits with dependent sources, where the current is controlled by another variable in the circuit.

3. What are the steps involved in Mesh Current Analysis with Controlled Current Source?

The steps involved in Mesh Current Analysis with Controlled Current Source are as follows:

1. Identify the current sources and their direction in the circuit.
  2. Create a set of mesh equations using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law.
  3. Assign a variable (or unknown) to each mesh current.
  4. Substitute the expressions for the current sources in the mesh equations.
  5. Solve the equations simultaneously to find the values of the mesh currents.
  6. Use the mesh currents to find the voltage and current in each element of the circuit.

4. What are the advantages of using Mesh Current Analysis with Controlled Current Source?

Some advantages of Mesh Current Analysis with Controlled Current Source include:

• It can be easily applied to circuits with multiple current sources and dependent sources.
  • It provides a systematic and organized approach for solving circuit problems.
  • It can be used to find the voltage and current in each element of the circuit, making it useful for circuit analysis and design.
  • It can be easily extended to more complex circuits by adding additional mesh equations.

5. Are there any limitations to Mesh Current Analysis with Controlled Current Source?

Some limitations of Mesh Current Analysis with Controlled Current Source include:

• It can only be used for circuits with current sources, and cannot be applied to circuits with voltage sources.
  • It requires the identification and labeling of mesh currents, which can be time-consuming for larger circuits.
  • If the circuit has a large number of mesh equations, the calculations can become complex and time-consuming.