What is meant by Early atomic models predicted noble gas stable

In summary, the conversation discusses the stability of atoms and ions with noble gas electron arrangements. The early models of atomic structure predicted that these arrangements would result in stable atoms, but this was later proven to be incorrect for larger atoms due to differences in the nucleus. The concept of electron shells and their relationship to ionization energies is also mentioned.
schumi
What is meant by "Early atomic models predicted...noble gas...stable"

Hello,
I am troubled by the following statement "Early models of atomic structure predicted that atoms and ions with noble gas electron arrangements should be stable"
Is this referring to the Niels Bohr model or am I missing out on something?

All opinions are appreciated.
Michael

Physics news on Phys.org

Do you have some context?

My guess:
You can try to model a nucleus similar to electron shells - both protons and neutrons are fermions, so they have to occupy different energy levels, similar to electrons. There, nuclei with 2, 10, 18, 36, ... electrons have closed shells, and they are very stable (high binding + ionisation energy). If you transfer that to atoms, you would expect that atoms with 2, 10, 18, ... protons and neutrons are very stable. While this is true for 2 (helium-4), it becomes wrong for larger numbers.
The reason: The nucleus is a bit different, as you have a different potential shape (no 1/r-potential, but a sharp border) and different effects from proton<->proton repulsion for large nuclei.

That makes sense. I found the phrase in my specification under "Atomic Structure, Fundamental particles, Candidates should know that early models of atomic structure predicted that atoms and ions with noble gas electron arrangements should be stable". Which to be hones I found quite vague.

Michael

I understand the question refers exclusively to electron shells, not to nuclei.

Noble gas electron arrangements stable: onyl early, because meanwhile we know argon and xenon fluorides can be produced and kept for many minutes.

Knowledge of electrons had to predate any electron-proton models.

In fact much was knownbefore the Bohr model and in particular the observation of periodicity in ionisation energies.

I have shown pat of the graph, a proper search will show the whole picture, but the ionisation (negative) energies of helium and Neon are about five times as great as for lithium and sodium.

So it stand to reason that the greater the I energy the less likely that the electron will be removed leading to the conclusion that the elements with greatest I energies will be the most stable.

Attachments

• ionisation1.jpg
    ionisation1.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 482

Thank you all. I'm glad I asked.

Michael

1. What is the significance of noble gases in early atomic models?

Noble gases, also known as inert gases, were important in early atomic models because they were found to have stable electronic configurations. This meant that they did not readily react with other elements, which helped scientists understand the concept of chemical bonding and the structure of the atom.

2. How did early atomic models predict the stability of noble gases?

Early atomic models, such as the Bohr model, predicted the stability of noble gases by proposing that each atom has a certain number of electrons in its outermost energy level. Noble gases were found to have a full outer energy level, making them stable and unreactive.

3. What evidence supported the prediction of noble gas stability in early atomic models?

The evidence for noble gas stability in early atomic models came from experiments that showed the lack of chemical reactivity of these elements. Additionally, the concept of electron shells and energy levels, proposed by early atomic models, helped explain the stability of noble gases due to their full outer energy level.

4. How did the understanding of noble gas stability impact the development of modern atomic models?

The understanding of noble gas stability in early atomic models played a crucial role in the development of modern atomic models. It led to the development of the quantum mechanical model, which explained the behavior of electrons in a more accurate and detailed manner. This model also helped explain the stability of noble gases and the periodic table of elements.

5. Can there be exceptions to the prediction of noble gas stability in early atomic models?

While noble gases were initially thought to be completely stable and unreactive, there are some exceptions to this prediction. Under certain extreme conditions, such as high temperatures or high pressures, noble gases can form compounds with other elements. However, this does not negate the overall accuracy of the early atomic models' prediction of noble gas stability.