Possible PF Site Issue: Help Needed!

• Thread starter sophiecentaur
  • Start date
In summary, when using PF, the browser hangs for a minute sometimes, with the spinning pizza. The Activity Monitor shows the browser is 'not responding' and the cpu usage of the browser is shown as 100%. After a longggggg time, I'm back in business.
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is almost certainly the wrong place to be posting this but I couldn't find a button for talking to the Site Manager. Has anyone else found this problem on PF?
I am using an imac with OS 10.7.5 and I use either Firefox of Safari (latest). This problem seems to occur pretty much exclusively when using PF. When moving to another page or posting (it will happen this time, I can be sure), the browser hangs for a minute sometimes, with the spinning pizza. The Activity Monitor shows the browser is 'not responding' and the cpu usage of the browser is shown as 100%. After a longggggg time, I'm back in business. I use Virgin Media and get a pretty consistent 9+Mb/s down and 1mb up, with very quick ping on the tests I've run.

I have been trawling through the various Apple support and discussion groups and I can't find the same problem mentioned. As this seems only to be a serious problem when using PF, I thought it would be worth while asking whether I am alone. This has only been happening within the last few weeks. My elderly mac mini, although deadly slow, doesn't do this. They are both 'wired' to the router, btw, so it's not a wireless problem, I guess.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for replying.
After a flurry of activity, I think I have found the culprit. I had Trusteer Rapport (Bank Security) running and, having uninstalled it, I don't get the problem any more. Interestingly, when I tried to re-instal it, it wouldn't go. The Trusteer site doesn't actually supply a version for Os Lion, which I have had for several months, aamof, but which was happy to be installed in the presence of the 'incompatible' version of Rapport without spotting it. Furthermore, the problem has only shown itself recently.
It's amazing that all these various bits and bobs manage to coexist at all. No wonder I get update packages from Apple most weeks.

This may just help others who have been blaming LaTex. You never know.

1) What is the possible issue with the PF site?

The Possible PF Site Issue refers to a potential problem or malfunction with the PF (Public Forum) site, which is a platform for public discussion and sharing of information.

2) How can I help with the PF Site Issue?

If you are experiencing any issues with the PF site, you can help by reporting the problem to the site administrators or technical support team. You can also provide detailed information about the issue and any steps you have taken to try to resolve it.

3) What should I do if I encounter an error message on the PF site?

If you encounter an error message on the PF site, you can try refreshing the page or clearing your browser's cache. If the issue persists, you can report it to the site administrators.

4) Are there any troubleshooting steps I can take for the PF Site Issue?

Yes, you can try troubleshooting steps such as checking your internet connection, trying a different browser, or clearing your browser's cookies and cache. If these steps do not resolve the issue, you can report it to the site administrators.

5) Will the PF Site Issue be fixed soon?

The timeline for fixing the PF Site Issue depends on the severity and complexity of the problem. The site administrators and technical support team will work to resolve the issue as quickly as possible, but it may take some time to identify and fix the root cause of the problem.