Ad Problem: PF Page Hijacked, Block It Now!

• Complaint
  • Thread starter AlephZero
  • Start date
AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Twice in the last 24 hours, clicking a link to open a thread on PF has produced a full-screen wnidow claiming to be http://testables.net/d/juicyru.com with a message like "congratulations, click here to win an ipad" or similar.

NOTE: THE ABOVE LINK IS MERELY TO REPORT THE PROBLEM - CLICK IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Whatever this is, it appears to be hijacking the actual PF page completely. If it's coming from your sponsored advertising software, please block!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are logged in when this happens? The only ad you should see is a banner above the nav bar.

Greg Bernhardt said:
You are logged in when this happens?
Yes.

The only ad you should see is a banner above the nav bar.
That's what I do see normally, except when this takes over the entire tab in my browser (IE). The only way to kill it seems to be to close the tab. Re-clicking the same PF link works fine, with a different "normal sized" banner ad.

AlephZero said:
That's what I do see normally, except when this takes over the entire tab in my browser (IE). The only way to kill it seems to be to close the tab. Re-clicking the same PF link works fine, with a different "normal sized" banner ad.

Could it have been a flash ad that you hovered over and it popped out?

I suppose that's possible, but the IE/MS popup blocker is on, and I sometimes get messages from other sites saying a popup was blocked. But I don't think I clicked on anything.

Whatever it was, it was intrusive enough to replace https://www.physicsforums ... in the browser address bar with its own address.

FWIW, googling "juicyru.com" suggests it's not specific to PF.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does a PF page get hijacked?

A PF page can get hijacked through various means such as clicking on malicious ads, downloading infected software, or visiting compromised websites.

2. What are the consequences of a PF page hijack?

The main consequence of a PF page hijack is that it redirects users to unwanted or potentially harmful websites. It can also track user activity and collect sensitive information without the user's consent.

3. How can I tell if my PF page has been hijacked?

If you notice a sudden increase in unwanted pop-up ads or redirection to unfamiliar websites, it is likely that your PF page has been hijacked. You may also notice changes in your browser settings or unfamiliar extensions installed.

4. What should I do if my PF page has been hijacked?

If you suspect that your PF page has been hijacked, the first step is to run a full antivirus scan on your device to remove any potential malware. You should also check your browser extensions and remove any suspicious ones. Additionally, you can clear your browser's cache and cookies to reset your settings.

5. How can I prevent a PF page hijack?

To prevent a PF page hijack, you should always be cautious when clicking on ads or downloading software from unfamiliar sources. It is also important to keep your browser and antivirus software up to date. You can also use ad-blockers and pop-up blockers to reduce the risk of encountering malicious ads.