Can Set Theory Identity (A-B) ∪ (B-C) = (A ∪ B) - (B ∩ C) Be Proven?

• Thread starter SpatialVacancy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a proof for a given set property. Two methods, an element argument and an algebraic argument, are proposed to derive the property. The process for both methods involves breaking down the sets and showing that every element in one set is also an element in the other set. Finally, the use of distributive properties can simplify the sets to show that they are essentially the same.
SpatialVacancy
Help me construct a proof!

Consider the following set property: For all sets [tex]A[/tex], [tex]B[/tex], and [tex]C[/tex], [tex](A-B) \cup (B-C) = (A \cup B) - (B \cap C)[/tex].

a) Use an element argument to derive this property.

b) Use an algebraic argument to derive this property.

Ok, for part (a), I know that I need to show that:
[tex](A-B) \cup (B-C) \subseteq (A \cup B) - (B \cap C)[/tex], and
[tex](A \cup B) - (B \cap C) \subseteq (A-B) \cup (B-C)[/tex] (right?).

To do this, i need to show that [tex]\forall x[/tex], if [tex]x \ \epsilon \ (A-B) \cup (B-C)[/tex], and [tex]x \ \epsilon \ (A \cup B) - (B \cap C)[/tex]. From here I do not know where to go.

For part (b), any help you can give me I would appreciate. I have written several pages of calculations and have yet to come up with anything.

Please help! This assignment is due 2/25 at 1:30 EST.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hint: you need to show that if x is an element of the LHS then x is an element of the RHS, for all x. to start, break it down using the definitions of Union and "-"

for example:

if [tex]x \ \epsilon \ (A-B) \cup (B-C)[/tex]

then [tex]x \ \epsilon \ (A-B) \ \ \ \ or \ \ \ \ x \ \epsilon \ (B-C)[/tex]

you will end up with special cases of what x can be and you just need to show that for each case, x is also a member of the RHS. You will also need to do this same process with the RHS showing that every element of the RHS is also an element of the LHS.

for part b, I think by "algebraicly" they just want you to use the distributive properties of union etc... on both sides and simplify the set as much as possible to show that they are really just different ways of writing the same set.

Last edited:
for reaching out for help with constructing a proof. It can definitely be a challenging task, so let's break it down step by step.

a) To show that (A-B) \cup (B-C) \subseteq (A \cup B) - (B \cap C), we need to show that for any element x, if x is in the left-hand side set, then x is also in the right-hand side set.

So let's start with an arbitrary element x in (A-B) \cup (B-C). This means that x is either in (A-B) or in (B-C).

Case 1: x \ \epsilon \ (A-B)
This means that x is in A, but not in B. So x is definitely in A \cup B. Now, since x is not in B, it cannot be in the intersection B \cap C. Therefore, x is also in (A \cup B) - (B \cap C).

Case 2: x \ \epsilon \ (B-C)
Similarly, this means that x is in B, but not in C. So again, x is in A \cup B. And since x is not in C, it is not in the intersection B \cap C. Therefore, x is also in (A \cup B) - (B \cap C).

Since we have shown that for any element x in (A-B) \cup (B-C), x is also in (A \cup B) - (B \cap C), we have shown that the left-hand side set is a subset of the right-hand side set.

To show the other direction, we need to show that (A \cup B) - (B \cap C) \subseteq (A-B) \cup (B-C). This means that for any element x, if x is in the right-hand side set, then x is also in the left-hand side set.

So let's start with an arbitrary element x in (A \cup B) - (B \cap C). This means that x is in A or B, but not both, and it is not in the intersection B \cap C.

Case 1: x \ \epsilon \ A
Since x is in A, it is definitely not in B. Therefore, x is also in (A-B).

Case 2: x \ \

What is a proof in scientific research?

A proof in scientific research is a logical argument that uses evidence and reasoning to support a hypothesis, theory, or claim. It is used to demonstrate the validity and accuracy of a statement or idea.

How do I construct a proof?

To construct a proof, you must first clearly state your hypothesis or claim. Then, you must provide evidence and reasoning to support your statement. This can include experiments, data analysis, and logical deductions.

What are the key elements of a proof?

The key elements of a proof include a clear statement of the hypothesis or claim, evidence and reasoning to support it, and a logical flow of ideas. It should also address any potential counterarguments and explain why they do not weaken the proof.

What is the importance of constructing a proof in scientific research?

The construction of a proof is crucial in scientific research as it allows researchers to support their claims and ideas with evidence and logical reasoning. It also helps to ensure the validity and accuracy of scientific findings.

What are some tips for constructing a strong proof?

Some tips for constructing a strong proof include clearly defining your hypothesis, using reliable and relevant evidence, and anticipating and addressing potential counterarguments. It is also important to present your proof in a logical and organized manner.