A Quest to Perfectly Understand Classical Mechanics

In summary, a college sophomore is seeking to improve their understanding of classical mechanics by starting from scratch and delving into deep discussions and debates with others. The objectives of this project include solving any classical mechanics problem, thoroughly explaining concepts, critically analyzing arguments, and tracing the growth of classical mechanics. The individual is determined to fully understand this branch of physics and is focusing on theory. However, they are also open to exploring other areas of physics such as electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and optics.
aLearner
Hi,
I'm currently a sophomore at college trying to perfect his understanding of classical mechanics. I finished Taylor's book a while ago, but now once again realized that I still don't understand mechanics all that well. So, I'm going to start from scratch. And dig deep, questioning everything and analyzing everything. But I need help. Not help like that of a teacher who imparts his/her knowledge -- although such help is always welcome. I need active discussion and debate into pretty much everything there is in mechanics. Debate and discussion whose answers maybe both physical and philosophical. From the most specific example to the very general laws. I do not know what to expect, nor do I know how long it will take. I do know that it will be very tedious and very time consuming, and even more so, frustrating. So if anyone is willing to put in the time and the effort at this daunting, but equally rewarding, task , please post here or private message me.

Objectives of the Project:

1) To be able to solve any classical mechanics problem.
2) To solve many classical mechanics problem.
3) To elaborately and thoroughly explain concepts like Force, Mass, etc via the classical lense
4) To critically analyze and, if lucky, improve the many classical mechanics arguments.
5) To see and recreate the slow and elegant growth of classical mechanics from foundational laws to classical models, making sure that every detail is checked, noted, criticized, verified, and simplified.
6) To read classical nature like a book, and to read that book entirely

I know that I've emphasized on the classical a bit too much, and yes I do realize there is more to the universe that just the classical point of view. But the classical point of view is, in the end, what started it all. As a physicist, I feel it would be against my soul to not solidly understand this branch. And I am focusing on theory, of course.

Hope to hear from you soon
-aLearner

Physics news on Phys.org
It is commendable you want to understand basic mechanics well - I recommend it too. But do not overlook other things - electromagnetism, thermodynamics, optics...

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion and behavior of macroscopic objects, such as planets, cars, and projectiles. It is based on the principles of Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation.

2. Why is it important to understand classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is important because it provides the foundation for understanding the physical world around us. It helps explain the motion of objects and the forces acting upon them, which is crucial in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and physics.

3. What are the main principles of classical mechanics?

The main principles of classical mechanics include Newton's three laws of motion, the conservation of energy, and the principle of least action. These principles describe how objects move and interact with each other in a predictable and quantifiable way.

4. How is classical mechanics different from quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics deals with the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics focuses on the behavior of subatomic particles. In classical mechanics, the laws of motion are deterministic, meaning that the future behavior of a system can be predicted with certainty. However, in quantum mechanics, the laws of motion are probabilistic, meaning that the future behavior of a system can only be predicted with a certain degree of uncertainty.

5. What are some real-world applications of classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics has numerous real-world applications, including designing and building bridges, airplanes, and other structures that can withstand various forces. It is also used in predicting and analyzing the motion of objects in space, such as the motion of planets and satellites. In addition, classical mechanics is essential in understanding and developing technologies such as cars, trains, and spacecraft.