Which angle do I need for the torque?

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the torque on a cable with a hinge that is rotating around an axis. The angle relevant to the torque is the angle created by the axis and the cable. The radius used in the Torque equation is the red line drawn perpendicular to the cable.
PhizKid

Homework Statement

CzxAd.png

Which angle is relevant to the torque of the cable with the hinge as the axis of rotation? Where is the radius used in the Torque equation?

Homework Equations

Torque = Force * radius

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know which one to use, they are both angles created by the axis and the cable. And as for the radius, I think it is the red line I drew perpendicular to the cable.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The torque of the cable on the rod will be equal to the tension in the cable times the sine of [itex]\varphi[/itex] times dh

sine is opposite over hypotenuse so I get:

2D9AB.png

Bu we don't know what 'x' is. How do you solve for it in terms of d_v or d_h or L?

Since phi and theta add up to a right angle you can use either one, provided you use it in the right way.
In the diagram, you know dh and dv, so you can compute the hypoteneuse. You just need to find the length of the red line. Can you spot some similar triangles?

I'm not good with finding similar triangles. I can't see any here no matter how I look at it. But is the perpendicular line I drew a bisector of the cable length?

PhizKid said:
I'm not good with finding similar triangles. I can't see any here no matter how I look at it. But is the perpendicular line I drew a bisector of the cable length?
No.
All you need for two triangles to be similar is two angles that match. Often, one of those angles doesn't merely match in size, it is actually the same angle in the picture.
In the present case, all you have are right angles, the angle the cable makes to the vertical, and simple sums and differences of those.

Assuming you know dv and dh, use triangle ABC to find angle θ1 or θ2. Then you can use a smaller triangle to find the lever arm for the tension.
[EDIT: This is just a suggestion if you are having trouble seeing haruspex's similar triangles. I'm not saying that my suggestion is a better approach.]

Attachments

• Torque problem.jpg
    Torque problem.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:

1. What is torque and why is it important?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is important because it allows us to understand and predict the motion of objects in rotational systems.

2. How do I calculate torque?

To calculate torque, you need to know the force applied to the object and the distance from the pivot point at which the force is applied. The formula for torque is torque = force x distance.

3. Does the angle affect the torque?

Yes, the angle at which the force is applied does affect the torque. The perpendicular distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force is the most important factor in determining the torque, so the angle at which the force is applied can greatly impact the torque.

4. What angle do I need for maximum torque?

The angle needed for maximum torque depends on the specific situation and the direction of the force. In general, the angle should be perpendicular to the lever arm (the distance between the force and the pivot point) for maximum torque.

5. How can I increase torque?

To increase torque, you can increase the force applied or increase the distance from the pivot point at which the force is applied. You can also change the angle at which the force is applied to maximize the torque.