Pyruvate oxidation/pyruvate dehydrogenase

• Thread starter Roxy
  • Start date
In summary, pyruvate oxidation, also known as pyruvate dehydrogenase, is a process that occurs in the mitochondria and converts pyruvate, a product of glycolysis, into acetyl-CoA. This reaction is catalyzed by the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex and produces carbon dioxide and NADH. Acetyl-CoA then enters the citric acid cycle to produce more ATP. This process is crucial for cellular respiration and is regulated by various factors, such as hormones and energy levels. Any dysfunction in pyruvate oxidation can lead to metabolic disorders, making it an important area of study in biochemistry.
Roxy
Does anyone know where I can find information or diagrams of Pyruvate oxidation/pyruvate dehydrogenase. (on the internet)

Biology news on Phys.org
http://www.rpi.edu/dept/bcbp/molbiochem/MBWeb/mb1/part2/krebs.htm
The site I posted above is SUPER... I found it really useful in studying for my exam. Of course, I don't know how advanced the material you are looking for is, but it pretty much covers a lot of stuff. If you go to the bottom there is a link to the index for that university's biochemistry page.. it has lots of useful links there to do with other parts of metabolism :)

K.

1) What is pyruvate oxidation/pyruvate dehydrogenase?

Pyruvate oxidation, also known as pyruvate dehydrogenase, is a crucial step in cellular respiration where pyruvate, the end product of glycolysis, is converted into acetyl-CoA, a molecule that can enter the citric acid cycle. This process is catalyzed by the enzyme pyruvate dehydrogenase.

2) What is the significance of pyruvate oxidation/pyruvate dehydrogenase in cellular respiration?

Pyruvate oxidation/pyruvate dehydrogenase is essential for cellular respiration as it links the glycolysis pathway, which takes place in the cytoplasm, to the citric acid cycle, which occurs in the mitochondria. This process generates acetyl-CoA, which is a crucial molecule that enters the citric acid cycle and produces ATP, the main energy source for the cell.

3) How is pyruvate oxidation/pyruvate dehydrogenase regulated?

Pyruvate oxidation/pyruvate dehydrogenase is regulated by various factors, including the availability of substrates, the presence of allosteric regulators, and the activity of regulatory enzymes. The enzyme is also regulated by reversible phosphorylation, where phosphorylation decreases the activity of pyruvate dehydrogenase, while dephosphorylation increases its activity.

4) What happens if pyruvate oxidation/pyruvate dehydrogenase is inhibited?

Inhibition of pyruvate oxidation/pyruvate dehydrogenase can lead to a decrease in ATP production, which can have various consequences on the cell's function. It can also result in the accumulation of pyruvate, which can lead to the production of lactate, causing a decrease in cellular pH. Additionally, inhibition of this process can also affect the availability of acetyl-CoA for other metabolic pathways.

5) Are there any diseases associated with defects in pyruvate oxidation/pyruvate dehydrogenase?

Yes, there are several diseases associated with defects in pyruvate oxidation/pyruvate dehydrogenase, including pyruvate dehydrogenase deficiency, which is a rare genetic disorder that affects the enzyme's activity. This deficiency can lead to a wide range of symptoms, including developmental delays, neurological problems, and lactic acidosis.