B inside a cylinder of radius R

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnetic field (B) inside and outside an infinitely long cylinder with a uniform current density (J). The use of Ampere's law and Biot-Savart to determine B in cylindrical and Cartesian coordinates is also mentioned. The final solution for B inside the cylinder is given as B = \mu_0rJ/2, with the direction of the magnetic field vector being perpendicular to the radial vector. Outside the cylinder, B is determined by considering the entire current enclosed by the cylinder. The correct orientation of B in a right-handed coordinate system is also clarified.
Murr14
hey all, this is confusing me a lot:

consider an infinitely long cylinder of cross-section radius R. we choose symmetry axis of the cylinder as the z-axis. The cylinder carries a uniform current density J in the +z direction throughout it's cross section. what is B at r inside of the cylinder? Express you answer in the component form B = Bx i + By j + Bz k

...what I'm confused about is whether or not I can use ampere's law with an amperian loop inside the cylinder or if i have to use Biot-Savart...

i did it using ampere's law and i got |B| = uJs/2 ...and the vector B is in the phi direction...wrapping around the z-axis...did i do that right? how do i get it into cartesian coords? Do i have to use Biot-Savart into be able to get it in cartesian coords regardless of whether or not ampere's law can be used?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Murr14 said:
i did it using ampere's law and i got |B| = uJs/2 ...and the vector B is in the phi direction...wrapping around the z-axis...did i do that right? how do i get it into cartesian coords? Do i have to use Biot-Savart into be able to get it in cartesian coords regardless of whether or not ampere's law can be used?
It is a fairly simple Ampere's law problem. The line integral of the magnetic field around a circle at radius r is just:

[tex]\oint \vec B\cdot ds = \mu_0I_{encl}= \mu_0AJ = \mu_0\pi r^2J[/tex]

due to symmetry, |B| is constant and always in the direction of ds so:

[tex]\oint \vec B\cdot ds = B2\pi r[/tex]

[tex]B2\pi r = \mu_0\pi r^2J[/tex]

[tex]B = \mu_0rJ/2[/tex]

At a given point [itex]\vec r = x\hat i + y\hat j[/itex], the magnetic field vector is perpendicular to the radial vector. So By/Bx = x/y. Divide by r to get the unit vectors.

[tex]\vec B = B\frac{y}{r}\hat i + B\frac{x}{r}\hat j[/tex]

where [tex]B = \mu_0rJ/2[/tex]

AM

ok thanks man...that makes sense...ok so thaty's B for inside the cylinder...now whatabout outside?

Murr14 said:
ok thanks man...that makes sense...ok so thaty's B for inside the cylinder...now whatabout outside?
Outside the enclosed current is the entire current in the cylinder. So:

[tex]B = \mu_0J\pi R^2/2\pi D[/tex] where D is the distance from the centre.

AM

IN a right handed coordinate system, Should that be

[tex]\vec B = -B\frac{y}{r}\hat i + B\frac{x}{r}\hat j[/tex]

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder is V = πR²h, where R is the radius of the cylinder and h is the height.

2. How does the radius of a cylinder affect the volume of a cylinder?

The volume of a cylinder is directly proportional to the square of the radius. This means that as the radius increases, the volume also increases, and vice versa.

3. Can you explain the concept of cross-sectional area in relation to a cylinder?

The cross-sectional area of a cylinder is the area of the circle formed by the intersection of the cylinder and a plane perpendicular to its base. It is equal to the area of the base of the cylinder, which is πR².

4. What is the relationship between the circumference of a cylinder and its radius?

The circumference of a cylinder is equal to the circumference of the base circle, which is 2πR. This means that the radius and circumference of a cylinder are directly proportional.

5. How can the volume of a cylinder be used in real-world applications?

The volume of a cylinder is commonly used in various real-world applications such as calculating the capacity of containers, determining the amount of liquid or gas that can be stored in a cylinder, and designing cylindrical structures such as pipes and columns.